Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we took my new boat out for the 2nd time today out of Bowleys Quarters. I've lived in Maryland since 99 and this is my first bay boat. We marked a ton of fish just south of Hart Miller Island as we ran down to Swan Point. Trolled spoons with no luck for an hour and passed the 20+ boat fleet at Swan Point area. Moved to Love Point to find the other fleet, another 20+ boats. I'm not into the crowd so we tried fishing east on the 17 foot drop off east of love point, no luck. We we did mark a few fish, but no hookups. We didn't spend time catching bait as we didn't have blood worms. (won't happen again) Overall, great day on the bay. I've been home for 3 hours and I'm still swaying.... Getting use to fishing out of a boat again. I had fun chasing the rock, but I'm really ready to go action fishing and raring to catch a pile of perch. Any tips of rigs, spots, or bait would be appreciated. A great day on the bay with no injuries or concerns. Need to find a spot for the kids to catch perch next time.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was in your shoes 5 years ago. I will cut down your learning curve but won't give you too many specifics. It's good to learn as you go. For this year, you are probably driving past great fishing spots and don't need to go south, not even to swan point. Great fishing north of there, follow the boats to find the spots, it's urban warfare at times but most people play nice. Big healthy fish are being caught in the upper bay.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Save your gas! You're running over fish to find fish. For the kiddos, I've always caught plenty of fish drifting between Hart-Miller and Pleasure Island. Bottom rig, light weight, blood worm pieces or peeler, what ever happens to be working that day.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the insight. I've never fished with peelers. Do you cut them up into little chunks? Any advice/tips are welcome. thanks again

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Or cast light spinners and Beatle spins on ultra light tackle near bulk heads, old docks, jetties, any shore structure near high tide for white perch. I like using the safety spin spinner on a 1/16oz jig head and a two inch gulp swimming grub in white on a 5' ultra light with 6 pound line mono or 8 pound braid. They will hold deeper too and you could use 2oz weight and double bottom rigs in deeper water but why? Still decent numbers of big 12" perch in shallow. Usually there from Memorial Day into September and then get replaced with quality striped bass in the fall.

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
Or cast light spinners and Beatle spins on ultra light tackle near bulk heads, old docks, jetties, any shore structure near high tide for white perch. I like using the safety spin spinner on a 1/16oz jig head and a two inch gulp swimming grub in white on a 5' ultra light with 6 pound line mono or 8 pound braid. They will hold deeper too and you could use 2oz weight and double bottom rigs in deeper water but why? Still decent numbers of big 12" perch in shallow. Usually there from Memorial Day into September and then get replaced with quality striped bass in the fall.
X2 on this white perch Info. Don't need deep water for nice size perch. I am catching nice size perch fishing from piers with a little 1/16 oz curl tail jig, or a 1 1/6 beetle spin. When the tide is running right, the large perch will show up. View attachment 177370 View attachment 177378

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.