Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first fish report post on here - I'm on here multiple times per day reading all of your posts while sitting behind my desk at work. Live on the shore and commute to Elkridge everyday, and driving over the bridge gets me dreaming on a daily basis. Thanks to all of you that regularly post on here! Anyways, last year I compromised with my wife, and bought a bowrider for taking the kids out tubing/cruising, when I really wanted that C.C sea hunt/tidewater for fishing.. But it gets me out there! Hopefully one day soon, this boat situation will change.....

Got a late start and left Kent Narrows ramp at 6:45am, thanks to my friend who showed up an hour late (overslept).. Got out to join the crowd at Love Point just after 7. I've got a 4 rod spread, no planers, and have a jury rigged 2x8x12 board that I lay on top of the back sun cushion that I mounted 4 rod holders too. So I try my best to stagger them. Set out 3 umbrella rigs (2 4-arm and 1 6-arm) and 1 tandem 2/4oz half green half white. Tandem was the ticket (2oz) at 8am 20 bars back, 37in in the cooler.. Trolled for another couple hours, and a 22in hit the same exact 2oz 20 bars back. Must not have the umbrella rigs at the right depth? 8 bars for the heaviest, and 10bars/14bars for the other two.. Marked tons of fish around the 25ft level. Next time i'll try to include pics of the fish finder.. It was lit up till about 10:30.. Called it quits around 11:30 just north of BB and ran back to ramp.. That was the first fish for me of the year - I was skunked on opening day at Bloody point.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Nicely done!! I thought I was the only guy without planers (in my case I'm a stubborn old fart and would rather fish than harvest).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve-- Although I can't say that I don't think of ways to set up planers to maybe get a few more lines out. But I haven't found an efficient way yet.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you havent already you need to atleast know how many feet of line a bar is. Most say 10ft is 1 bar. On my reels running 30lb main 4 bars is 50ft and 8 is 100. Then google up the depth chart thats always floating around and figure out what you have, what depth you want to be at etc.. congrats on your catch and first post. Im kinda new here too. You did pretty well today IMO for only having r rods. Especially considering this was tourney weekend and there was un doubtably a gazillion boats out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very good point-- I've always assumed 1 bar was 10ft, but now you've got me thinking. I'll have to experiment - I'm just using 309 reels with 40lb test.. But I need to learn what it is and stop assuming. Thanks for your feedback.

·
Premium Member
26,179 Posts
Congrats on nice catch - and good 1st post.

Look forward to more.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Congrats, your innovation paid off. Nice fish and first report. Keep'em coming.

And remember, before you know it it'll be light tackle time!

Mike (lubbernomo)
Bluewater 2350 out of the South River.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Good work. Thanks for the report.

I'm running 330's and 340's in the spring. I have measured my 330's and I've found that 2 bars (1 complete revolution of the levelwind) was 28ft. Didn't measure the 340's, figured it would be close enough to the 330's. Most of my spools are only 1/2 to 3/4 full which also makes a difference but I can guestimate fairly close with the initial measuring.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, my reels are 3/4 full, if that. I tried to stay between 2.8 - 3.2mph.. Again -- Really appreciate all your feedback guys!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Happy wife = Happy life

That set-up is pretty inventive. Plenty of people went out this weekend with big money dedicated fishing boats and came home empty handed. 1/2 of those people probably pointed and laughed when they rode past you. Gotta love being the underdog out there. I too fish from a family boat, and a Bayliner at that.

Take a look at these arches. They would give you lots of trolling options plus somewhere to store the rods out of the way while running. Not awful expensive. I hope to get one next year. www.fishonsports.com

·
Registered
619 Posts
Thanks Steve-- Although I can't say that I don't think of ways to set up planers to maybe get a few more lines out. But I haven't found an efficient way yet.
You could put up a planer mast in the forward seating area. I have seen galvanized chain link fence posts with an eye bolt on either side of the top to hook your planer lines to, and a guy line to both bow cleats for support.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
AaronDen -- Yes - that saying is very true! And thanks, as soon as I bought this boat, I kept thinking of a way to get some rods up, and that was the best I've come up with so far. Those arches do look very nice. Only thing is, I keep the boat in the garage, and it'd have to be some kind of quick release to take it off / put back on type deal. I'd buy one today if I knew it could.. I've actually seen some wakeboard towers that actually do this, by releasing the two back clamps, and folding down over the windshield. But I'd rather have the style you sent in your link. Would be nice to have that pole barn / shed to store your setup to not have to worry about height issues. I'm definitely going to invest in the shed before I get another boat.. 14' tall doors to accommodate the t-top with radar...(Dreaming) Love storing the boat in the garage though, don't have to worry about sun, rain, and all the other obvious ****.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You could put up a planer mast in the forward seating area. I have seen galvanized chain link fence posts with an eye bolt on either side of the top to hook your planer lines to, and a guy line to both bow cleats for support.
I like your idea -- now you've got me thinking again.. Just wondering how to stabilize this "mast" towards the bottom to prevent it from bending backwards.. Tying off middle to bow cleats plus maybe putting something on the floor to keep the bottom of the post from shifting.. You think something like 4" x 6' PVC would work? Thanks again for all your suggestions!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Floor Mount for center mast

I like your idea -- now you've got me thinking again.. Just wondering how to stabilize this "mast" towards the bottom to prevent it from bending backwards.. Tying off middle to bow cleats plus maybe putting something on the floor to keep the bottom of the post from shifting.. You think something like 4" x 6' PVC would work? Thanks again for all your suggestions!
Maybe something like this to mount flush into the floor

http://www.walmart.com/ip/32189159?...71067832&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78913794872&veh=sem

I know it sucks putting holes into a new boat but worse case you could put a table there for the seating area when you arent fishing so its a win win

·
Registered
141 Posts
Both fishonsports and atlantictowers make quickrelease parts that allow the arch to fold down. it pivots on one set of mounts and releases from the other set.

Aaron

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, I'm trying to avoid screwing into the floor, not much space up around those front seats. If the boat came with that, I'd definitely would be utilizing that! Looking further into the tower option - I see those pivots now in the pictures..

IMG_2589.jpg

You may have just sold me. Now it may be time to sell the wife.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I use 4 rods also have scotty rod holders in front that spread them out a decent bit, they also can be removed except for the base. They work decent just have to watch lost part of one when pulling in rods last week.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts