Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sky Water Helicopter Aircraft Vehicle

PORTSMOUTH
The Coast Guard rescued four adults and two children Monday night after their 18-foot boat ran aground on an oyster bed in Finney Creek, north of Wachapreague.
The Coast Guard received a distress call about the boat about 6:20 p.m., a news release says. The boat was stuck and "high and dry," but no other nearby boats could help because of the depth of the water.
No injuries were reported.
The Coast Guard launched an MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter from Elizabeth City, N.C., to rescue the boaters, who were taken to the airport in Accomack County.
The boat is anchored and has its navigation lights on.

UPDATE: Now has a dead battery too

·
Registered
197 Posts
Did this really require an airlift? I assume no kids were at risk other than being board

Nothing like putting 6 folks on an 18 footer, and running dead aground

Idiot

·
Registered
265 Posts
sounds like plenty of people to get out and push, not like the water is cold right now. Glad to see our tax dollars hard at work!
Chris

·
Registered
329 Posts
I guarantee if it was my Skeeter they would have said you are SOL... try callin sea tow... & i would've waited 6 hours before i paid that bill!

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My take is that they didn't know what they were doing. Not for getting stuck but for panicking.

A flat bottom maybe can be moved (4 adults) but that depends on the muck; they were in a creek so probably too soft. And when you run up on a bar on a plane, and a falling tide, too late.

Probably didn't have the most important seaside equipment--shove pole.

So they should have waited it out rather than take a $40,000 helicopter ride--then again, gives the coasties practice in good conditions.

But 4 adults 2 children--assume 4 whiners--100 degree heat, low tide, no seeums, greenheads, out of cutters, no breeze, sun setting...

Also--this happened to a friend who was waiting it out but someone else called the USCG--once they are on site, they want to hoist someone.

Here's the better question--why not hook the cable to the bow eye and drag the boat to the channel?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Business opp. get an airboat to make these tows! they run on anything slick, and can
navigate those skinny waters. If I was younger, I would be on board with this idea.!!
Capt.Skid

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Problem with your business model is that while lots of folks on the seaside run aground, few call for help, but instead deal with it--often merely waiting it out.

There's no towing service up there, either.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I tried to get Boatus and Seatow to position a boat over here on the shore . They both said their would not be enough business to make it worth the while .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts