Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a special screw driver made to remove the oil plugs on the lower units.A regular screw driver seems to have the tendency slip out of the slot and damage it.Wondering if there is a straight wide blade tool made just for that?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I finally went to Sears and purchased the widest, thickest screwdriver they had, a long one and a short one. The shank on the long version was also square, allowing the use of vice grips or a small wrench to moderately tighten the screw. They worked. I don't think I've ever used either one of them for anything other than changing lower unit fluid and opening paint cans, however. More specialized tools to add to the pile.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Use the biggest screwdriver you can find. The screw was probably put in too tight. If a new seal is used each oil change it doesn't need to be muscled in that tight.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I changed mine to the allen head type, works like a charm. Set of 2 with new seals and correct size wrench, about 15 bucks at Boaters World. The bottom plug has a magnetic tip which gathers and holds any metal filings that may be in the gear lube. Works for me, T.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Bob H is correct, it should not be so tight , but since that seems to be common, I bought a screw driver bit socket with a 1/2" drive. It's a Craftsman from Sears. With the ratchet there is plenty of torque and pressing the bit into the slot is not a problem.
I really like the idea of the Allen Wrench replacement best.

budc

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went to Sears and tried to get a wider blade screw driver. Widest they had was 3/8's of which I have about 4 or more.Looked for a wide hollow ground driver no luck.The widest they had in the socket was also a 3/8s.
I think I like the Allen Head Socket Idea the best too. Was wondering why they didn't make it like that to start with.
Thanks for the help !
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

PS. I like to torque the plugs down pretty tight not afraid that they will leak if I don't but always think they may vibrate loose.

·
Registered
430 Posts
arghhh...I cant get mine to break free even using impact driver came off fine last year...now its all boogered up.[sad]

·
Registered
549 Posts
STEEPTEK25, You should give those Anderson guys in Perryman a call. I'm sure they can get it out. (If the're not hunting or fishing)

·
Registered
111 Posts
[Q]bbcroaker originally wrote:
PS. I like to torque the plugs down pretty tight not afraid that they will leak if I don't but always think they may vibrate loose.
[/Q]

Easy there! They WILL strip!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pretty sure they will Outcast just have to have the touch and stop before that happens.Probably won't happen with a screw driver.Perhaps thats why it's mate for a screw driver.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That don't sound to good Steeptek25. Must be goulded and as Thomas said you need some profesional help with that one .Its as they say a boat is a hole in the water to throw money in.Good luck!

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
If you haven't already gotten it out you can try to shock it with a punch and hammer or use a hand impact wrench with a screwdriver blade. Hand impact works great on motorcycle hardware with stripped crosstip screws and should work good on the oil screw.

·
Registered
4 Posts
[Q]STEEPTEK25 originally wrote:
arghhh...I cant get mine to break free even using impact driver came off fine last year...now its all boogered up.[sad]
[/Q] IM A NEW USER (FIRST TIME) THE ALLEN HEAD SCREW SOUNDS GREAT

·
Registered
430 Posts
update...had to weld a nut to it to get it out...wonder why they dont have a nut on it anyway...not like its gonna slow the freakin boat down or anything...i hear ya bob h i didnt put a new gasket on it last year and it was basically what was corroded in there...the impact is what i boogered it up with [grin]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts