Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1992 90hp Evinrude that i am difficulty with trying to get the lower unit plugs unscrewed. Is there a trick to this or a special tool? Any help would be appreciated before i completely strip these suckers!

Thanks,
Brent

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Are you using the proper size tool (screw driver ?) You may want to try heating it a bit as well. After you remove the plugs I would totaly replace them with new ones since it sounds like the heads are already messed up. Also any time you remove the plugs always replace either the nylon or O ring seal that is on the plug each and every time. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Cs. I'm gonna try it next week when i have more time to get frustrated![grin]

I need a Gorilla i think![excited]

·
Registered
225 Posts
You need a big screwdriver that has an area that you can put a wrench on. That way you can apply pressure to keep it from stripping at the same time you are turning.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Get one of those impact screwdrivers that you hit with a hammer, works every time. I don't know why they didn't make the plugs with a more positive kind of driving arrangement, like a hex socket, but they didn't. In any case, the impact tool works great.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I had evinrude lower unit work done this spring. It came back with plugs that take an allen wrench. Much easier than the big screwdriver.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts