Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found that my lowrance LGC-3000 GPS receiver (NMEA 2000) for my Lowrance GPS/Fishfinder died. The fishfinder unit can still mark bottom but cannot find satelites. I used the trouble shooting guide from the Lowrance web site and confirmed that I have power to the "puck". Lowrance Support said that my trouble shooting confirmed that the LGC 3000 was dead (RIP).

Lowrance Support said that my GPS fishfinder (a 7-10 year old model) can use the LGC 3000, 4000 or the new Point 1 receiver but recommended not spending much/any money for such an old unit.

does anyone have a working GPS receiver (LGC 3000, 4000 ) that they want to get rid of for a reasonable price?

thanks..

FC

·
Registered
8,597 Posts
Get the Point 1. Not only will it act as your gps receiver, it will give you your heading so you are not solely relying on COG (course over ground). It will help you with things like going back over a small piece of structure or allowing you to have radar overlay in the future since your gps will know what way the boat is facing not only traveling. They are less than $200 and worth it for any NMEA 2000 network device. Therefore it is worth it for any future gps unit you buy too as long as it is NMEA2000 (basically all are now days). This includes other brand gps units too. I personally am not a big Lowrance fan but this is a great device for low $$ - I have one hooked up to my Furuno unit. Consider it your next upgrade for the future.

https://www.boemarine.com/products/lowrance-point-1-gps-antenna-map-199-00

·
Registered
439 Posts
Get the Point 1. Not only will it act as your gps receiver, it will give you your heading so you are not solely relying on COG (course over ground). It will help you with things like going back over a small piece of structure or allowing you to have radar overlay in the future since your gps will know what way the boat is facing not only traveling. They are less than $200 and worth it for any NMEA 2000 network device. Therefore it is worth it for any future gps unit you buy too as long as it is NMEA2000 (basically all are now days). This includes other brand gps units too. I personally am not a big Lowrance fan but this is a great device for low $$ - I have one hooked up to my Furuno unit. Consider it your next upgrade for the future.

https://www.boemarine.com/products/lowrance-point-1-gps-antenna-map-199-00
X2. Did a ton of research on heading sensors and the Point 1 is about as good as you can get for a reasonable price. One of these is going on my new boat and will be used for Radar overlay. But having for heading for going backing over spots is priceless.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the input.

Perhaps I should have added in the original post that I moved my old Lowrance to a jon boat that spends 99% of its time on the Susquehanna (I upgraded the "big" boat to a Garmin Echomap 73dv with coastal map).

The primary purpose for asking/searching for a GPS receiver for the Lowrance was so I could use the GPS to mark spots where I catch smallmouth.

·
Registered
147 Posts
FC, The LGC 3000 is a 12 channel receiver a Garmin 16x or 17x will hook up. The 17x is nmea 2000 and the 16x is 0183. I have a LCX 28HD and use the 16 on one boat and the 17 on the other. You can pick up the 17 for about $70.

The 17 comes ready to plug into your backbone, the 16 has to be wired in.

If you have any questions about this, Panbo has a good article on it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I appreciate the input.

Perhaps I should have added in the original post that I moved my old Lowrance to a jon boat that spends 99% of its time on the Susquehanna (I upgraded the "big" boat to a Garmin Echomap 73dv with coastal map).

The primary purpose for asking/searching for a GPS receiver for the Lowrance was so I could use the GPS to mark spots where I catch smallmouth.
haha yes makes a big difference.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes it does...LOL.

I'll try to add those fine points in future posts. The GPS wouldn't have been much help fishing Pinchot lake yesterday unless someone was interested in marking seaweed/grass :fishing2:

PS. I'd still take a used receiver if anyone has one....

FC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts