Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been a while since I purchased my HDS 8" and 10" combo units. Want to get two small, simple combos for a 18' jet boat. Never heard of the Hook model but it has a chartplotter with Navionics, regular sonar and down scan. It should be more than needed for the rocky Susky and other places I would use a boat like this. Price seems reasonable. Anyone own or use Hook model?

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Called BOE this morning and discovered the unit I am asking about will not be available until mid January. Knowing that now I do not expect anyone to have experience with them.

·
Registered
8,597 Posts
It looks like the old Elite7 just with "chirp" fishfinder. If it is, we run one on my dad's boat. It is an ok unit that was used primarily as a fishfinder and downscan for wreck fishing. I don't have a ton of time using it but I prefer the fishfinder on my Furuno gp1870f more. The clarity of marks isnt there and it always seems to show too much noise. He has the 83/200 and the low frequency doesnt seem very usable. Just my opinion. Charts don't seem as detailed either but the charts are CMap 4D on the Furuno and purchased separately. Maybe the chirp on the newer unit will make it a better finder. I dont know. The downscan isnt a big deal to me since I am more interested in marking fish than seeing the detail of the structure.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks like the old Elite7 just with "chirp" fishfinder. If it is, we run one on my dad's boat. It is an ok unit that was used primarily as a fishfinder and downscan for wreck fishing. I don't have a ton of time using it but I prefer the fishfinder on my Furuno gp1870f more. The clarity of marks isnt there and it always seems to show too much noise. He has the 83/200 and the low frequency doesnt seem very usable. Just my opinion. Charts don't seem as detailed either but the charts are CMap 4D on the Furuno and purchased separately. Maybe the chirp on the newer unit will make it a better finder. I dont know. The downscan isnt a big deal to me since I am more interested in marking fish than seeing the detail of the structure.
Thanks for the detail Greg. River fishing on the rock strewn Susky is totally different than the Bay. Most of the fishing is shallow and bottom contours are not often that critical. Marking fish is rare. Seeing rocks, riffles, downed trees, etc with your eyes is the most critical. What is mostly needed is something that shows the depth and something that makes a track. The depth could even be just a digital readout. The track can be useful in establishing where you can run on plane and where you need to creep. Many guys go with the cheapest unit that can do that or fish the river without a depth finder at all. The reason I am looking at a notch above that is I may use the boat other places--just not sure at this point. Also with many years of striper fishing, it is hard to not have some of the goodies on the units.

·
Premium Member
26,149 Posts
Bill - I know some guys who fish the Susky below Conowingo and they swear by side scan units. These guys catch some really big fish.

Might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Skip. I may fish there at times but most of the time I will be up in Pa where it is mostly shallow and rocky. Will give SS some thought. I will still fish for stripers at times but am totally turned on by smallmouth fishing right now. They were in my back yard all the time and I pretty much ignored them in favor of stripers, blues and trout. I intend to remedy that.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Funny thing WB....I've fished the Susky up here for 40 years before the striper bug hit me in 2008. Sold my river jet for a small deep v in order to fish the way upper. I know I missed the glory days but I do love fishin the flats. I still wet wade up here when the river stage permits (3.5 or less) and yes, there is some very good fishin to be had :thumbup: Good luck with the big transition....I'm sure you'll fare well. Oh yeah, a fish finder from New Cumb to M-town is relatively useless but laying a track is a great idea.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Funny thing WB....I've fished the Susky up here for 40 years before the striper bug hit me in 2008. Sold my river jet for a small deep v in order to fish the way upper. I know I missed the glory days but I do love fishin the flats. I still wet wade up here when the river stage permits (3.5 or less) and yes, there is some very good fishin to be had :thumbup: Good luck with the big transition....I'm sure you'll fare well. Oh yeah, a fish finder from New Cumb to M-town is relatively useless but laying a track is a great idea.
Happy New Year Mike. My first MD fishing was for LMB in and around the weed beds on the Flats. Did that for two years before I learned about the the striper run in the spring. That started many years of chasing stripers along the coast. Will still fish for stripers but on buds' boats. I fished the Bay just about every week last season but only used my Parker for five trips. One trip was a week in Morehead City fly fishing for Albies, another was two days at Raritan Bay for shallow water blues, another was two days near the Bay Bridge and the final trip was three days out of Buzz's several weeks ago. The 23 Parker SE sat at the house unused most of the time. Having buds with boats at marinas on the Bay just makes it too easy. I would rather have a jet boat right now so I can fish the Susky.

Fished on a bud's boat at PLO before Christmas. He had a guest I had never met. He wanted a trailerable boat. His 28' did not have a trailer. We talked, he came to my house, looked at my rig and bought it on the spot. The easiest I have ever sold a boat. I was not looking forward to guys coming, spending lots of time looking, wanting test rides and then offering me less than it was worth. It was very fortunate how things worked out.

Now trying to buy a jet boat that is set up for the river. Hope to get what I want on the first shot. My wife likes me buying a new jet boat. No, she is not a bass fisherman. She just likes the idea of having a smaller boat stored at the house.

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
Thanks Skip. I may fish there at times but most of the time I will be up in Pa where it is mostly shallow and rocky. Will give SS some thought. I will still fish for stripers at times but am totally turned on by smallmouth fishing right now. They were in my back yard all the time and I pretty much ignored them in favor of stripers, blues and trout. I intend to remedy that.
Although it's nice for a change of scenery once in awhile , fishing is mostly psychological. We can easily think that better fishing is far away, when in fact it's in our own back yards. BTW Some of the best Walleye and Musky fishing I've done is in your backyard in January too.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Funny thing WB....I've fished the Susky up here for 40 years before the striper bug hit me in 2008. Sold my river jet for a small deep v in order to fish the way upper. I know I missed the glory days but I do love fishin the flats. I still wet wade up here when the river stage permits (3.5 or less) and yes, there is some very good fishin to be had :thumbup: Good luck with the big transition....I'm sure you'll fare well. Oh yeah, a fish finder from New Cumb to M X2 on that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts