Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I made a mistake. I replaced an older lowrance combo unit with a new lowrance 527 combo. from the very start it hasn't woked correctly. lowrance had me do a hard restart that seemed to intially correct the sonar issue but now at the worst possible time its hung up displaying 62'. tech service said to send it in for service. how's that for bad timing. Nothing like fishing blind.....any suggestions?

·
Registered
290 Posts
# 1 a blind man fishing with you. You will make his day and you will feel so good about it you wont care that the radar didnt work.

#2 rent a boat with sonar.

#3 get your old one back in the boat

#4 ho,ho,ho, and i dont mean santa

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
I like Lowrance fish finders and chartplotters for smaller boats but they do fail at times. The only solution I have found is to have two of them. If my 10 color combo fails I have a small but very clear 5" color fish finder. If the GPS part fails I have a color hand held that has the same software as the big unit. I can transfer data from one to the other and swap the charts back and forth. Using the backups is not as handy as the big unit but it is infinitely better than nothing.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
3,293 Posts
Hey stuff happens to all Depthfinders no matter the make. I too like the Lowrances. I have almost their full line from a couple of years ago. One of them is the 332c which is equivilant to the 527c without the dual frequency transducer and a couple of new features. This is the lower end of their product line. I also had trouble with a couple of them but Lowrance stood behind it without question. The LCX 25c and the LCX 111c are the higher end products. THey have run perfectly since the day I got them except for the time I blew a fuse. Replaced the fuse and back in business.

My advice is to fully test and run the new unit alot to make sure there are no problems and make sure that Lowrance and you keep records of any problems. THey have been very reasonable with me and have provided excellent service.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Lowrance makes a good product, sorry to hear you got a lemon. I always carry an inexpensive backup with the same xducer hookup - the Eagle models will also interchange.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I pulled out the old one this evening, its just a pain to have to route everthing all over again. I think i'll go the blind man routine until I get the unit back. Timing is everything.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I like Lowrance. I buy them at Boaters World get the one year "I break it" warranty and extend it every year. I figure I'm way ahead on the deal. When and if they break I put the broke part in the box and take it to boaters world for replacement. If they don't make that one anymore they upgrade it to the latest and greatest. Last year it was necessary to replace everything. I was out only my labor. The unit I got now has run since then with no problems. Hope I didn't just jinks the **** out of my GPS/Sonar unit by saying this.

Good Luck
Mike
On the Nancy Jane

·
Flounder -r- Fluky
5,925 Posts
mine went on the blink last year and I had them overnight me a new unit and shipped them the old one..... once they received the old one they credited back my CC...... they knew over the phone that is was a software issue and knew it wasn't worth trying to repair. I was up and running 2 days later.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
piece of [email protected]#&*$

Tried to reason with the folks at Lowrance.after 25 minutes on hold, I explained that this was PRIME rockfish season and this sounder was costing me time on the water, tried to have a cross shipment done and found out that even if they had another unit to replace mine they wouldn't be able to ship it for 10-14 days.something about a new computer system not functioning quite right. found out that they do have a unit to replace mine with but once again they won't or can't ship it. rep was polite but wouldn't budge. So if you see some guy in a small grady bumping along on the bottom, be kind...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts