Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Lowrance LCD28HD fishfinder / GPS / radar is gone nuts. When you boot it up, it either rolls screen like an old TV without horizontal hold (remember those days???). yesterday it booted up but no screen. I could hear the beeps as I changed blank screens but no video.

The last 2 times out with it, it 'warmed up' and after 10 minutes, it was OK for the rest of the day. If its anything like my flat panel TV;s, it probably the power source flaking out.

Any good repair guys anyone recommend? or send it back to Lowrance. Its out of warranty.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Good luck with Lowrance, Had my HDS sent in for repair and took 8 weeks. All they did was replace it due to warranty. They can't keep up with number of units sold. May be faster for you due to it being an older unit. Good Luck

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'd say turn it into a spare anchor since you gave me your last one. I would think Lowrance could at least look at it and give you a quote for repair before proceeding. I'd call them just to ask what the options for repair are. They helped me over the phone resolve a small problem with the unit not zooming in but I was under warranty. Let me know when you're ready for your next fishing lesson.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My 2 year old LCX-17m had the same problem. When I called Lowrance they said that they did not fix them anymore and I should buy a new model. I did not want to change the cut out so I bought one off of Ebay that was supposed to be new, it worked for 4 months and the GPS function died. Since it was "new" and should still be under warranty I figured that Lowrance would back the warranty and fix it. They stated that they did not warranty any items that were sold on auction sites. If you find someone that can repair yours, I would like to get one of my old ones fixed! Hope you have better luck with Lowrance.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Not to pour salt in your wound, but I have too have been a victim of Lowrance a few years ago before I wised up.. My advice would be to call customer service, and if the person whom you first talk to doesn't tell you what you want to hear, ask for a supervisor or manager and read em the riot act. Don't curse em, just be very stern.. You may get a new unit, you may get yours repaired, or they might tell you to go fry eggs.. My unit was 2 weeks out of warranty, and discontinued.. They told me to pack it up and ship it to them and they would determine what they would do.. They called a few days later and said they were gonna ship me a new one, which they did. Lasted about 6 months, and then crapped out. Went thru the same process again, except they would only offer to repair this one, which they said they coudn't, and offered a newer one at a discount.. No thanks. I'll never buy another product from them.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Lowrance had some problems in recent years and got bought by another company, so the customer service is heading in the right direction fast. The best guy around that may be able to fix it is Trident Marine in Hampton. Andy is one of the most talented & knowledgable electronics guys around and may know how to help out.

Kevin
Weekend Mistress

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Lowrance story

I have a Buddy who lost his LCXHD26C ... Nothing works sonar reads 0.0 all the time , new Xducer did not help, radar won't boot up and GPS continues to lose signal.. He called lowrance and the best they could do was tell him they do not have replacements for unit and more than likely it can't be repaired.. Now they did offer him a new HDS unit at Half price and transducer but the sticker is its Not COMPATIBLE with his radar unit and which they would not make an offer on a new unit.. He has a 28 ft parker and dumped approx 4k 4.5k in elctronics...in 2006.... so it seems for 4.5k you get about 4 years of use..... That to me is enough to move onto Garmim or some other Manufacture... To me , if you put something on the market it should proven.. The LCX series was a joke , I know I had the same unit on my boat and it always had some sort of issue. now HDS
How much did you pay for your HDS and How long would you expect it to work...
I'm pretty much a Non believer in them anymore... :nono:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts