Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I typically use 20LB braid with a shock leader when fishing lures from the beach. When LTJ'ing is it recomended to tie directly to the jig or should I keep a shock leader in the rigging? Also what LB test is reccomended for jigging the Bay / Flats?

Last question, I ALWAYS use a teaser when fishing the surf, is this a good or bad idea for fishing the flats? Usually I use a deciever type fly about 24" in front of whatever lure I have on the end.

Any thoughts / advice is appreciated.

Thanks

John

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Keep your mono or flouro leader. Much easier to re-tie lures/rigs, at least for me with mono. No reason not to use a teaser, either. I rig my leader with 17-20lb test mono or flouro, I've never lost a fish due to leader failure. The other benefit to having a mono/floro leader that might not be a factor in the surf is snags. You get hooked on a log or something, it's a lot easier to break off the mono than the braid(gotta wrap that braid around a broom handle or something to pull hard enough to break it and keep your fingers.) Have fun ...
Pat in Joppa

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I like 15lb yellow powerpro and a 25lb mono/flouro leader. Double uni to secure braid-leader, then a Homer Rhode loop knot on the jig. When you snag, the weaker loop knot breaks instead of the braid-leader unis. If you want to use 10lb braid, I'd go with a 20lb leader for similiar results (jig knot breaks before leader knot). This system has sucessfully brought 50lb fish to the boat in heavy current.

·
Registered
507 Posts
My two cents: For stripers/bay fish I recommend going direct; there's no need for the shock leader and it won't make one iota of difference in the number of bites you get, yet you're adding in another attachment point which is a potential point of failure. The leader's purpose is to absorb the sudden pressure of a fish's surge when it's at or near the boat, and with bay fish, unless you're using very light braid there's not much chance they'll break it. Tunas/amberjack/wahoo is a different story, because yes, they have the oomph to put a lot of sudden stress on the line. But in the bay, it's just not necessary.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
...The leader's purpose is to absorb the sudden pressure of a fish's surge when it's at or near the boat, and with bay fish, unless you're using very light braid there's not much chance they'll break it...But in the bay, it's just not necessary.
For me, the purpose of a leader is for abrasion resistance and for something to grab while the fish is boatside rather than for its use as a shock leader. I'm not grabbing braid when handling fish boatside. I guess if we were netting fish and fishing open water where there little risk for rubbing against pilings and such, tying direct would be alright, otherwise I need a leader.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I use a shock leader for the points mentioned above. It's a whole lot easier to clip and retie a different lure. Not for the "Shock" purpose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts