Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like a consensus of opinions on the best set up for a leader for LTJ'ing. My rig is a 6 1/2' Steve F. jiggging rod w/a Stradic 2500 loaded w/ 20lb Fireline. My main concern is jigging at the CBBT.
. Type of leader material?
. Lb. test?
. lenght?
. method of connection to main line (knot or swivel)?
. method of connection to lure (knot or swivel)?
. prefered knots?
. dropper fly ?
I've been using a 6', 20lb test, flourocarbon leader tied to the main line w/ an Albright knot. Lure goes on a Perfection loop and I have a dropper loop tied in 18' up.
My main concern is the ease of changing out lures or the entire leader when dealing with the snags and pilings at the CBBT. Does anyone have a better suggestion ???:helpsmilie:
Thanks in advance for the TF assistance!

·
Registered
289 Posts
I fish with the exact same set-up you have. Steve-F rod with a Stradic 2500. I have power-pro on mine and use 20lb mono for a leader. I use a double-uni know to tie the braid to mono. My leader is roughly 3-6 feet in length. I personally have not used dropper flies so I have no experience tying them. HTH!

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I like to tie a 3' floro leader to my braid using a Double Uni Knot. I normally use either a 25 or 30lb leader......I find, I dont like the knot when using 40lb. When tying to the lure, my first tie will be with a Palamor Knot directly to the jig but after landing fish, I will retie using a Trilene Knot. The reason I dont keep using the Palamor, is because it can waist a few more inches of leader on each retie........and I want my leader to remain long, as long as possible. The less Double Uni's I have to tie to leader, the more fishing I can do. As far as tying a loop knot to the jig......you may get a little more action but I want to be in full contact with that lure at all times.....I dont even want a 1/2" of play, plus, most loop knots are only 80-85% knots and I have had alot of failures.

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Hey Charlie..my CBBT setup is 6ft med sction Avid St. Croix..sometimes I use 6'6 G.Loomis Med action rod.....2500 Shimano Saros...#10 Power Pro....#30 Ande Mono leader...After talking to Wild Bill at length about this I don't think you need Fluro leaders but if you want them thats fine.........(no dropper)...I am afraid that if I hook 2 bigguns at once and they pull in different directions...it will break....
When we are running ocean side in jan...I go with 7ft MH Avid rod...4000 Saros...20lb Power Pro and #40 leader....Big girls need a little more backbone....
Hope this helps....

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
Charlie , I don't waste the money on flouro . I just use a uni to uni from braid to mono and tie a snap to the end of the mono leader for quick change out of the jig or lure . I like to tie a fairly long leader (6') so if I do get hung up and have to break it , I still have enough leader left to tie on another snap . Breakaway fast snap links :
http://breakawayusa.com/shop/spinfastlinks.jpg

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I know my set up with differ from everyone else's but it works for me.

I typically use 20# mono for a leader and never have problems in spring and summer, but after the CBBT last weekend I plan on changing to 30# flouro just for the CBBT for the abrasion resistance around the pilings and rocks. Not sold on the advantages of flouro for stripers for other reasons besides the abrasion resistance.

I typically start with 5'-6' so I can cut of a little at a time as it get worn and change leader when it gets below 3'.

Connection is where I differ. Most use uni-knot to uni-knot. Maybe I don't tie a uni-knot right but seem to have problems with it. It's a little more involved but I tie a short bimini twist (2' or so) and tie a mono/flouro leader to the bimini with a bristol knot. I have never had a bimini fail and once I went to 10 turns with the bristol instead of 6 I started with I have never had that not fail either. This is more time consuming then most methods but I would rather take a few extra seconds. Plenty of fish out there. spending a minute tying a knot won't break me.

I typically use a non-slip mono loop to attach jigs. I rarely use a swivel.

I haven't used dropper flies. Always think about trying them but never do.

Andy

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I use 8-10#PP and uni to uni it to 25# Suffix mono about 3 feet. Never had a problem with either knot or line. I do use a loop knot the Skip Slomski showed me that I call the Skip Knot (I don't know the actual name). I will say I have found that the little more action it provides has IMHO made the difference but that might just be superstition. As a couple guys have said I don't mess with dropper loops much down that way. The fish are big and if you hook up two here's a better chance of losing your fish.

-Evans

·
Registered
248 Posts
Mine is simple as well. 6'6" Medium St. Croix with 2500 Stradic reel spooled with #20 PowerPro to 5' #20 mono leader tied with a double-uni. Lure is tied on with a loop knot for a little extra action.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I use a 5 - 6' leader that way i can change lures and have some to spare when i get break offs.

In the summer i use 20# mono, it's all you'll ever need. It's easier to tie a knot in.

In the fall/winter i use either 30# mono or 30# flouro.

Both of them i use a double uni to my braid.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I use 10LB Fireline and use a uni to uni on 30 LB 3 to 4 foot Yozurileader with the breakaway fast snaps, I love the damn things too, on a 7' MH Carrott Stick and Diawa Sol 3000. My heavy rig is 20 PP with 30 LB leader on a 4000 Sustain with a 7' Shimano MH Teramar. Do yourself a favor and chech out the Breakaway snaps above. They are small and will not open, and it allows you to change lures in a blink of an eye, I love emm!! Best product I have found all year other than the TC4 Teramar rods, great rod for husky stripers and gator blues, 100 bucks.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I use 8-10#PP and uni to uni it to 25# Suffix mono about 3 feet. Never had a problem with either knot or line. I do use a loop knot the Skip Slomski showed me that I call the Skip Knot (I don't know the actual name). I will say I have found that the little more action it provides has IMHO made the difference but that might just be superstition. -Evans
I believe its the same one I tie, a Homer Rhode loop knot.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks to all who took the time to reply!!!! I'm taking the advice about the dropper loop, it's ok for mid-bay schoolies but the possibilty of two bigguns pulling in differant directions is scary. I'd like to try those fast connectors, where can I get them?? The only other differance is the knot to attach the leader to the braid. The uni-uni is a GREAT knot when usuing lines of equal diameter but the Albright is easier to tie and is designed for unequal dia. lines. I've never had a failure with it. That Homer Rhode Loop is another easy knot, I think i'll try it.
I'll be down 14th -16th and again on the 29th& 30th. Hope to see everyone at Stingrays !!! Thanks again, TF ROCKS !!!!!!

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Charlie...to each his own but I don't care for any hardware when LTJin'...snaps..swivels etc....I don't have that many lure changes or breakoffs...so it's not a big hassle....

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Yup, if it works, do it, and there's a lot of working techniques. I don't use loop knots for jigging. While I agree that a loop knot might provide more action, I want direct contact with my lure at all times. When you snap a lure up, it eventually turns over and starts to fall back. When that happens, it moves around in the loop. That's often the moment of the strike, so even if you feel the fish you'll have to jerk the slack out of the knot to set the hook. I use a modified improved clinch knot and start by going though the eye twice, a very strong and fast knot. I do use loop knots for topwater plugs.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All very good advice from some really heavy hitters ! Thanks guys, rest assured that I am changing some things in my set up, what you have said makes too much sense. I really appreciate the advice and hopefully, others reading this thread will learn something too.
Tight lines!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts