Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left Deale at 0700, crew was Jerry (SwartJ), My co-worker Taek and his buddy Dahvo. Taek has been out with Jerry and I a couple times over the summer, but this was his first big fish trip, this was Dahvo’s first Bay Rockfish trip…..so we had to get some fish.
First couple hits were short and went back to grow up….then a nice fat 20+ came in. Next Taek brought in a feisty 27 ¾ followed soon by Dahvo with it’s twin….his first feesh. Had to get a picture of him paying homage to the Fish Gods with a kiss !
Next the 200 back with tandem blue Storms started screaming, a long fight later a 39 in the box…..we almost lost this fish, as we were guiding it into the net the leader snapped, but the hook was caught in the net, reached down and grabbed its mouth and between Jerry and I hoisted it in….lady luck smiled on us with that one !
Ended up boating a couple more, ended up with 6 fish ranging from 19 to 39 inches…were beat up and called it around 130.

Wind and waves were a big factor today, was 10-15 from W when we left and built up all day…..we had gusts I’d estimate at 30+ and steady 3-4’s after the wind shifted to the NW around 1000 am….not many boats out, some charters and a few Parkers….didn’t see any Grady’s…probably too rough.
The pic of the net shows how hard the wind was blowing....this was at trolling speed.

A lumpy ride today but we all had a good time.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Nice catching and great luck landing the one that broke the leader :clap:-WOW.

The Grady's were much farther south-in the rough part of the bay :D.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
Thanks for having me along. We had to work for 'em. The best quote of the day came from you when you said "It's starting to calm down a bit". We were still in solid 2 - 3 footers. The sad part is you were right.

Definitely beats sitting at home.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
340 Posts
No, you can't see the Gradys because they aren't out.
Nice fish from the Parker

·
Registered
225 Posts
Didn't see any Grady's because we were able to run out 30kts through the slop. Fished a tad south of the powerplant from Breezy. Had to slow down to 24 on the way in, the NW kicked up and we didn't want to get any spray on the boat, it's getting too cold to clean it.

Did you guys feel a period of 2 min or so when the wind burst to 40+kts? We had a strange and scary couple of minutes when the wind, not waves made it hard to stand up and a couple of buttons on the canvas even came undone. Weird.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
I remember that burst of wind. I was working the deck minding the rods. Felt the wind an looked up and the water was whitecaps every where. There were a couple of bursts like that especially when that big bank of clouds came through.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
3,364 Posts
That wind was something. I had both motors on at 1200 RPM's to maintain 3 MPH, heading into those gusts!

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the same results, 1200 RPm to maintain 3mph....normal speed at 1200 is 6mph.......sometimes I even thought I being blown backward.
Gonna sleep good tnite after that workout.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for letting my buddy and I on board. He and I had a hell of a time. Honestly, words can't describe how tired I was and am. I was absoutely spent after that fish. I couldnt make a fist let alone raise my arm. Dhaval couldnt stop talking about the size of the fish we were bringing on board.

I got to my parents place around 4...didnt filet the fish had to take it whole to show it off. The minute I pulled up my brother was waiting for me. I texted him earlier about the fish. The minute he laid his eyes upon the beast he was in awe. He stared at that fish in awe like a 10 yr with his first playboy magazine. He couldnt stop asking me question about how long it took to reel it in and how tiring it was, etc... Parents couldnt believe the sheer mass. Both were licking their chops (no pun intended). They called in their friends knowing we're going to need more man-power to tackle the beast- all together had about 14+ people.

Thanks again, Steve!

Still got some fish left which I planned to take home to fry but fell asleep after dinner which was about 8. So I got about 11 hour sleep, and I'm still tired. Is it bed time yet?

·
Registered
693 Posts
RUN WHILE YOU CAN! You are feeling Fi****is, an uncurable disease known for it's high costs and failed marriages...

Congrats on your day, rough as it is, and the :bigfish: Start planning now your next trip, season is just getting started

1 - 10 of 10 Posts