Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From spaceweather.com

RARE LUNAR ECLIPSE: The lunar eclipse of Dec. 21st falls on the same date as the northern winter solstice. Is this rare? It is indeed, according to Geoff Chester of the US Naval Observatory, who inspected a list of eclipses going back 2000 years. "Since Year 1, I can only find one previous instance of an eclipse matching the same calendar date as the solstice, and that is Dec. 21, 1638," says Chester. "Fortunately we won't have to wait 372 years for the next one...that will be on Dec. 21, 2094."

WHEN TO LOOK: The total eclipse lasts more than an hour from 02:41 am to 03:53 am EST on Tuesday morning, Dec. 21st. Any time within that interval is a good time to look.

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
It's well worth getting up at 3;00 am to see this.

An eclipse is wild to see - let's hope for a clear sky.

Thanks for posting details.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
My son was kind enough to call me at about 2:20 am from his job to inquire if I was watching the eclipse. We went out on the back deck long enough to confirm that it was pretty cool (both the eclipse and the air).

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Sat in the truck with heat on from 1:30 to 3:40 to watch. Interesting that the moon never dissappeared, just saw the shadow cover it, making it look like aa orange ball in the sky. Saw some video on internet and it dissappeared for a while.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts