Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How big is too big? I know that trolling 9" to 12" plastics and spoons down south are standard for trophy season, what about up on the flats. I'm guessing that the big shad running though would warrent a 10" BKD or so. I'm gonna try to resist catching a million schoolies this year and try to maximize my chances for a hugemongous cow. . . yeah I'll still take the smaller fellas.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
most of the big stuff seems to avg 5-7". 7" BA's will nab you a bubba, as will a 6" plug or popper or a 5" Tony A. Lotta fellers talk about throwing 10" BKDs with some success.

·
Registered
143 Posts
lure size

i always have a rod with a 10 inch bait. i have caught 3 lbs-ers as well as 30 lb fish on the flats w/big swim baits..

when the drift is really moving i`ll throw the big bait out and just troll it..
its tough casting that big bait all day..

if your out there all day you will probably end up trying everything in your box..

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Check it out

I saw this on the tube today.It was a Striper flick in RI.The fisherman tried a 5" plastic assasin type bait and enlarged it by adding another hook (stinger hook style) then hooking another bait by the head to the first hook and thru the body of the second hook weedless style then adding a third bait and hooking it to another in the same fashion.He wound up with 3 baits & 3 hooks with the plastic fish hooked head to tail like a school of 3 baits hooked head to tail.It didn't look like a pretty rig but he caught Stripes one after the other.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Saw the same thing nick... shaw grigsby. Commented in the other thread about the interesting rig. Though from what I saw, he caught the same grade of fish. I'll admit, I liked the look of the thing in the water.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Here are some of the most popular lures I've caught stripers with on the Flats.

5 and 7 inch BAs, 6 and 9 inch BKDs, Rattletraps, Stillwater poppers and Tonys. BUT - the main thing is to be very stealthy. Its shallow up there, it gets crowded, there are 90% small fish up there so the catch a big one you gotta be quiet, skillful, lucky and quiet. Very quiet.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
First..You have to find a quiet spot and hope it stays that way long enough to catch a fish.Then,hope nobody sees you catch a fish or you'll have plenty of company to drive the fish away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts