Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to start fishing a little more and starting to accumulate some equip..In the past i've taken poor care of my lures and left in the tackle box. I'm tryin to do a better job and was wondering whats the best way to store fishin equipment. I seem to remember a post awhile back about different peoples storage sheds and thought there would be some good advice. thanks garrett

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Plastic trays with separate sections that can be adjusted to the size that you require. Some of these are only a couple of inches deep and others are four or so inches. Some are very small--eight by five by an inch and one-half., They have latches on them to keep the tops in place. I have purchased many of mine at Bass Pro in Hampton. I would expect that many tackle shops would have them. If you have a tackle bag, such as those from Ugly Stick, the trays stack nicely in the bag either flat of up on the side. I also have a Rubbermaid cabinet that is about six foot high, four wide and two deep with three shelves. I place the trays and other tackle in this cabinet which I keep in the garage. For the rods and reels, I made two racks, one mounted on the garage wall and the other on the garage ceiling.

Lee

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Yep, it's hard to beat the "Plano" boxes (generics are just as good). Get a soft sided tackle box, and load whichever plano box(es) you'll need for the day.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
as said the plano boxes are great...I've some marked "boat" to keep on the boat and other for when I'm on
other boats...I've got so much stuff I can't even keep track of half of it....

I even put a half dozen big striper lures on craigs list for 20.00 and still can't get rid of them...
My good friend Ray Heim kept me stocked up while he was alive....

Peg board is also a good way to go...I've also got stuff hanging everywhere...

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
off season store your stinkies (gulps, etc.) where the critters won't get them. Maybe in the bait refrigerator?

Plastics store out of the sunlight.

Cedar cigar boxes cut down on rust, I've heard. Also those DO NOT EAT Silica packs that come in electronics are good to drop ina tackle box and absorb moisture.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Just a tip: Never put used tackle back in the storage containers until it has been cleaned and dried. I have had to pull everything back out to clean it and try to get the rust off later, its no fun. I may have to put an addition on the house to store all the striper stuff. May call it the striper wing. Martin

·
Registered
491 Posts
Same as above onda Plano type boxes. But- as you're using diff lures and switching them from one to another- put the wet ones in a separate bag or box, then after you get home wash the in cool/warm fresh water w/ a little dish detergent rinse and hang dry. Comb out the skirts, and restock boxes as nec. Sometimes you have to touch-up the leadheads due to bouncing them off of pilings or the bottom. I use my wifes old fingernail polish to match.. Works for me------ BOB

·
Registered
56 Posts
You can store large lures like mojos, spoons, and such very easily in a 5gal bucket. Get a 5gal bucket, leave the top on but cut out the center so there is a ring remaining that is about 1inch wide all the way around. Drill holes about 1/2 inch apart all the way around. This is a good way to transport lures, and see exactly what you have while on the water.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
You can store large lures like mojos, spoons, and such very easily in a 5gal bucket. Get a 5gal bucket, leave the top on but cut out the center so there is a ring remaining that is about 1inch wide all the way around. Drill holes about 1/2 inch apart all the way around. This is a good way to transport lures, and see exactly what you have while on the water.
I use a bucket similar to what is described here. The difference is i cut slits with my dremel 1.25 inches apart all around the lip of the bucket. The allows me to hang all my stretches and some larger bucktails (4-6oz) around the edge and still have a lid to snap down. I found with stretch 30's a 5 gallon bucket isnt deep enough to keep the straight and un-tangled so i purchased a Ball bucket from play it again sports in Yorktown. Even came with a lid you can sit on.

For my large umbrellas(18-22") i use 4 inch storm drain pipe. i glue one end cap on and drill holes in it to drain water. The other cap is left as a top to slide on and off. Easy to rinse out at the end of the day. For my smaller umbrellas(10") i use 3 inch storm drain with the same configuration. When the season is over, store them anywhere. Just stack em in the corner until next season.

For my Mojos, i dont have many. I took the same 3 inch storm drain and lashed 7 of them together in a 5 gallon bucket. Easy access and you can leave any leader you have on them . I actually have one tandem rig stored in a tube like this.

Plastics - someone said it above, you cant beat the plano boxes.

hope this helps
Tight Lines

Wetboat.

·
Registered
320 Posts
We put all of our lures in the "plano" boxes. Whenever we cut a lure off after using it, we just hang it on a bucket and when we get home from fishing, we just spray all the lures off, let them dry, and then put them in their respective plano boxes.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have always used five gallon buckets until this year. I just bought this rigging bucket at www.riggingbuckets.com. I ended up condensing three five gallon buckets down to this one and it is alot more organized. IT also has a donut around the bottom that catches your leaders and stabilizes the bucket some. I have really enjoyed it. Its a little expensive for what it is, but worth the money in my opinion.

·
Registered
184 Posts
all very good ideas i will add my 2 cents.. i use a lot of umbrella rig bags with the double pockets. reason being we put all the mojos in the bag then when we get home i have a rubbermaid container filled with fresh water to soak in then we hang the bag up in the garage. also if the hair gets tangled up soak them in some hair conditioner...

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have always used five gallon buckets until this year. I just bought this rigging bucket at www.riggingbuckets.com. I ended up condensing three five gallon buckets down to this one and it is alot more organized. IT also has a donut around the bottom that catches your leaders and stabilizes the bucket some. I have really enjoyed it. Its a little expensive for what it is, but worth the money in my opinion.
I made 1 of these buckets myself. Pretty easy. And alot! Cheaper. It works good. Also i use alot of those bait bags. They are blue mesh on 1 side n plastic on the other side with velcro. They work awesome. The best thing ive used so far. They r bout10x10 in. I put my mojos bucktails tandems n all in them. Then u can store them in a milk crate. They hold leaders in them to. U gotta try this!u can put bout 10 bags n a crate. The mesh bag lets it dry to

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Used a 5 gal "Bucket of Death" for many years until I got tired of it tipping over, went to the "Crate o' Death" - milk crate filled with 2" PVC tubes, long enough to hang Stretch 20s inside. Just rinse the whole thing off after the trip.

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
The Crate O'Death: (I used 4" PVC also for big spoons/MoJos.)

Sinker Tray: (2 liter bottle rack)

Rod Racks: (1x4, jig saw and a hole saw)

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
It looks great. Their WEB site lists the cost at $30 plus $8 for shipping. However, for those wanting to save a little, Home Depot sells 5 gallon buckets with a lid (on sale right now for under $4). You do have to cut a hole in the lid and drill holes around the rim yourself, but the savings can be large. However I do like the oversize base on the one sold at riggingbuckets.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts