Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
The adhesive that comes on lure eyes is not very good and it is hard to find lure eyes that are adhesive free from a supplier. However I have found that even with the original adhesive on the eyes a small dab of Loctite super glue (gel control) will do the trick.

·
Premium Member
26,140 Posts
Marty's in Edgewater sells replacement eyes in various sizes for the marble eye parachutes.

Best thing I found is 5200 marine adhesive - use a tooth pick to apply around the cavity and press eye into it. Then put a smear around outside along edge where eye meets the lead.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I have started to use "Bondic" this year with great success. It is not a glue. It is a Uv plastic welding process. The applicator tool is ideal to lay a fine bead around the perimeter of the eye and it will harden within 4 seconds of UV exposure. It is easy to use and not messy. Throw away your super glue!
http://www.bondicusa.com/pages/how-to-bondic

FWIW

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I use Clear Cure Goo Hydro on my jig eyes. Similar to J Keeler's Bondic in post #5 in terms of how it works. I also use Clear Cure Goo Tack Free to dab on to stick on (flat) eyes to make them stick out. Place a dab over the eye and spread it out to the edge of the eye with a pin. Place enough on the eye to make a blob that sticks out like a bulging eyeball. Then hit it with the UV. If you turn the eye upside down, i.e. hold the jig head with the eye facing the floor, and then se the UV light, it can help get the shape right. I then brush on the Hydro to seal the edges of the eyes so that water doesn't dissect off the eye while the lure is being pulled through the water.
For a really simple approach just coating the eyes with Sally Hansen Hard As Nails would probably work too, but I haven't actually tried it in that specific application so I can't make any promises.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Yup, Sally Hanson hard as nails will hold the eyes on, for that matter, any other waterproof clear type of finish will work. I got a bottle of CS Seal Coat UV Blast that I have been using to coat some of my lures. It works well and leaves a very tough finish. It comes in non UV as well and is a lot cheaper than the UV cure glues that I have seen.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I coat with Devcon 2 ton epoxy. Have also used the Sally Hansens on smaller jigs, but the epoxy lasts longer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input all. I've been thinking about using the cs seal coat after I have glued the eyes on so I'm gonna see if that does the trick..

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Thanks for the input all. I've been thinking about using the cs seal coat after I have glued the eyes on so I'm gonna see if that does the trick..
That should do it. It seems to be pretty tough and protects the finish from chips and bare lead from oxidation. The only drawback is that if you are ordering it now, it might freeze in transit. Barlow's tells you not to order it during freezing weather. If you can find it on the shelf in a store then you should be OK.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts