Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping to have the opportunity to get out on the water for few hours here and there over the next few weeks and would love to do a little exploring around Lynnhaven Inlet since its close to my parents house in the North End. As a beginner to kayak fishing, I would appreciate any advice you are willing to give.

I am assuming that a good place to launch would be the public beach at the north end of the bridge.

My yak is a good starter yak but fairly slow so I don't have any plans of journeying too far away from wherever I launch.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My experience on Sunday 8/28/05 as new to that area...TKAA guys said to go to Lynnhaven...My boyfriend and I did and fished around there. We adventured out to the POLES...laughed at some boaters comin' and goin' thru the channel had a good 'ol time. $2.00 for locals in courtesy box and nice launching area. Good fishin' but way to much bait that day. Used lures with some shrimp and squid. Try that...they helped us a lot. Nice area, friendly people.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Yeah, fish somewhere else. Lynnhaven is overcrowded, overpriced, and overrated. Oh yeah, the people are rude too (some, not all). Try Little Creek jetties, HRBT, Laffayette River, or Elizabeth River. You may like what you find. If you want flounder though, the Lesner bridge at Lynnhaven is hard to beat if you can handle the rapidesque current, lead slinging shore fisherman, and jerky boaters.

Have fun!

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
go buy a cheap depth finder. ebay has them for $60 today. go up the river past marina shores 1/2 mile and fish the drop off as soon as it opens up 50 yeards from the right hand side. You'll have your limit of flounder in about 3 hours. Use cut a jig head with cut bait much less waves and traffic to worry about. Fish the dropoff there's a 28 foot dropoff. You'll know it when you find it[excited][excited][excited][excited]

·
Registered
580 Posts
Cory,

I believe that there are some good spots in there. However, I have tried numerous times and never caught anything to brag about. I think it is the pressure. And if you want to see a crowd, wait until the first report on the Virginia board reading "SPECS IN LYNNHAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!". I went last year and me and the other 100 boats were catching specs hand over fist. Did I mention that they were all 11.5"?

Personally, starting in September, you should shoot for HRBT or CBBT if the weather allows. I've personally had more luck in Scott's Creek near my house than Lynnhaven in the fall.

Tom

·
Registered
580 Posts
I can tell you this, if gas prices stay like this, MY BOAT will be taking very few trips this year. The yak is more fun anyway and I don't mind the cold one bit. I guess $40 in gas is chump change to some, but not me.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Lynnhaven I have found to be a very difficult place to fish. When you look at a map or paddle around there looks to be soo many promising places...WHERE TO START? The ones that know don't really share. After fishing there for about 4 years now I have found areas on my own (later to find out everyone knows about them) but have yet to catch any of the sexy species such as reds and specks. I think part of the problem is being there at the right time, and that time is bow season so I haven't been there. I think bait might help also, but I seldom carry it.

I have never been skunked on an ebb tide at the bridge in the evening. I have the croaker, stripers, flounder and bluefish nailed down. Tom still doesn't believe me when I tell him there are other places to catch flounder other then the bridge...his lose.

I can't believe how many kayaks I see in there now as compared to 4 years ago when I started fishing there. Sometimes that can be as annoying as the boats. However it has made me do more exploring and search for new places. Another reason not to have a bright kayak...

For the most part I thinkn Lynnhaven holds promise. However it is tough and you shouldn't be surprised if you get skunked. Enjoy the scenery, try to get away from the crowds and due what we do....explore.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i agree naked goby,

are there really that few of fish that others dont share? i think it is the time, money, and effort invested that prevents the share of quality info.
is it the problem solving that makes the fishing fun? or is it sticking you pole with the right lure the first time in the right spot that someone else has discovered fulfill your needs. if you want to catch fish easily, join a menhaden boat.

there is a eet coming up, study.

can you see yourself at a fantasy football draft and asking everyone when it is your pick, who you should choose?

i have recieved plenty of advice on kayak rigging, launching, loading, repairing, yada yada. secret spots(i found one last week) should stay secret. once again i got ONE. and i suck at this. run of the mill fishing info like stripers on the lightline, flounder at structure etc.. can be found with little effort. now im going to my secret spot to catch all the croaker i can!!!!!!!!!! and you losers dont know where its at.
[grin]

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have some 'special' places that I won't tell about too. Goby knows them all because we fish together alot. But alot of the most well known spots are just that for a reason; they are productive spots. In my boat I will pass up 10 good spots to get to HRBT because we consistently catch fish there. I don't have much free time so when I go I like 'catching' rather than 'looking'. Paddling long distances to me can be boring also. I know some love it but to me the yak is just a vehicle to get to the fish. I guess I am not a 'soul paddler' type. In the fall I actually have a spot on the way to work that I stop at just about every morning and catch a couple striper before going to the office. I've caught them there up to 26". But that is a 'secret' spot.

Tom

·
Registered
662 Posts
Lynnhaven is challenging to say the least. I doubt if I would take a trip there from outside the city. The total fish population is not as high as other areas . But it's in my backyard and I can fish it often so I do. Tell you the truith I would rather figure out a difficult place and catch a few fish than sit in the middle of a hundred other guys bailing them in.

The problems are well defined Crowds, water quality, and loss of grass. But Lynnhaven does hold fish for someone who will take the time to figure it out

Come to think of it about anywhere you fish the situation is the same. HRBT and CCBT, Light tower, you name it, when the word is out everyone is there. For Crowds try Harkers Island in the Fall Albacore run, rest of the year it's a fishermans paradise.

I recomend off times and away from the "people magnets" that is the bridge and places you see everyone fishing. This summer late nights and early mornings the fishing has been pretty good. A couple of time outstanding. There are signs of the fall Speck run as well as puppy drum in the last week. Last fall we had a very good Speck season and I think we may this year too. Same fish but larger.

Boats

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.