Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Launched at 0730 with the tide starting to go out. Cut across the Islands west. Headed towards the shoreline that we have been having luck on puppy drum. The first search close to shore we saw no life. Water was clear so we pulled off to the flat just off the oyster beds. It was game on. Hooked up with a kayak pulling red that let me at least see him broad side before she came off. Told the wife to paddle over towards the flat. She hooks up with a 17" rat puts it back and then she hallers hooking with a big one. This is what I have been waiting for to she her rod bowed over and her kayak being pulled through the water. By the time I paddled over the the puppy drum had pulled off. I got back to seaching and finally landed a 23" puppy that had an old tag that was falling apart. I caught him on a storm shad. The wife caught and released about 5 more under slot puppies when we started paddling back by the tennis court. Looked and could not find any spec's. The puppies are still out there and they are the hardest fighting fish in Lynnhaven. Nice morning . Looking forward to next spring/summer/fall for fishing for puppy drum there.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
HillBeach,
One day, actually it has to be a two day trip. I am going to drive down there and fish for red drums. Can you post the picture of the Storm shad or link to the web site showing the picture of it?

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is a pic of the storm shad in bunker color I was using when the puppy drum shut off on the red fish majic spinner baitshttp://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/hillbeach/?action=view&current=72911.jpg It was the 4" size

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I still have to catch a keeper red. It sounds like I still have time to do that. Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are still in Lynnhaven and the water temps dropping it won't be long they will move out. Sunday we had to find them off the grass and in a slough between grass and the oyster beds. At night they have moved closer to the grass and are easy to get. I have caught them on redfish majic, dicks spoons, tsnmua jigs in the golden color. They are hungry since the baitfish are less and scattered in the inlet. Find schools of baitfish and you will find the puppy drum.

Pat

1 - 5 of 5 Posts