Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
I am up for that or Rudee, still on the fence. I fished Lynnhaven Saturday morning, wasn't much happening, may try Owl's Creek, just to try something different.
Chad

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can go either way. I got all these feisty peelers left over after the ES trip and wanted to let them go around the bridge pilings at slack tide. Also thought that the bridge lights might produce dinner after dark. Might try Rudee during the two-day blow.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I released my peelers on the ES because I don't plan on using bait again unless I go back to the ES for the next FM. I really got tired of feeding DF and FS. I could go for the Lynnhaven thing, but Rudee could also produce dinner.
Chad

·
Registered
255 Posts
Chad,
I caught a couple of Reds drifting the grasslines with a cork and about 18" of freeline with mud minnows at Rudee Inlet. They eat good.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm in for Lynnhaven, be there after work around 5'ish, going home to load up now. 10 mph east winds which shouldn't matter and a high tide around 6 should give us a slack current for a while to work the bridge piles, after that it's just a matter of finding the right ebb tide hole. Blues are still everywhere in there and after dark the light line around the bridge should hold some Striper. See you out there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
OOPS, I meant Wed. also but after reading the original post I can see how it was misinterpeted. Loading tonight for tomorrow so I can leave straight from work, see you out there if you choose the Lynnhaven option. I'll still be there around 5.

Ric bring the crab, you never know what's next to those piles.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Ill do Rudee also, that with in yelling deistance of my house. Be there around 5:00.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I plan on hitting rudee inlet wednesday morning. I will let you know how I do in the am should be able to post a report around 2 pm. Wish me luck[grin]

·
Registered
32 Posts
To everyone that was planning on going but didn't, you shoulda. Things started out a little slow as Rick C and I caught the last of the incoming and drifted around the bridge for Flatties with no success. After the current went slack we dropped peelers next to the pilings with the same results. Ric (fisherman) joined us a little after 6 and enjoyed the same results.

The tide turned and the current picked up. Ric ventured off towards the east and we stayed put, determined to change our luck around the bridge. Somewhere around 7:30 it turned on. The outside of the bridge began to boil with small Blues and Striper tearing up anything and everything on the surface. It was non-stop action from then on.

Ric rejoined us as the bite was now insane. There were some LARGE Blues mixed in, mostly underneath the schoolies, and they were great fun on the light tackle. I also lucked out and took home a fat 24" Striper which will met the cast iron coffin tonight. The bight was slowwing down and really went south as a noisey outboard decided to join us one piling away. Rick C and I left Ric catching the bigger Blues down low about 10:30 and headed in. Great night on the water was had by all.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah baby, the skunk is dead. Can't believe that we didn't pick anything up in the pilings on crabs or in the creek on strips and jigs, but who cares when we get in on a blitz like that. I was in the dumps when I paddled back from Keelings Drain with the stench of skunk hanging heavy in the air. As I got closer to the bridge I saw Rick and Jay in the lights, then I saw the fish busting on the surface, and suddenly all was good in the world. Blues to 20 and schoolies on the surface. Rick said he had caught a chopper on another trip. I'd been lugging some 3 and 4 ounce Megabait jigs around just for this day, time to bust 'em out. Rigged the medium conventional with 50 lb leader and tied on a 3 ounce Stingsilver. First drop. Boom! Fish pulled me screaming out into the bay and around in circles. I got it close enough to see I didn't want it in the boat with me. 30 plus inch blue big head and big teeth. Chop Chop, the hook pulled. Good! After that, every drop resulted in a big blue and ended with a pulled hook. They were bending the wire hooks on my jig. I switched to a 4 ounce with a beefy treble and managed to get the next few fish to the boat. I still stink like fish. How sweet it is.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Great trip when you get home with sore arms, torn up tackle and smelling like fish. We had a couple of blues in the 24" range landed on the 6 lb rods we carry, thats a blast like that, drag hasn't cooled off yet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts