Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the annual mackerel run still occur off of OC in April? If so do the headboats still go after them?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I haven't seen mackerel out of OC in over 20 years. There were tons of them in the 80's and yes the head boats were there, but not anymore. Now the big question is, can we get out of the OC inlet without running aground?

·
Premium Member
26,177 Posts
Has not been a reliable run in about 20 years. Few boats will go out and give it a try but often resort back to wreck fishing. Seems there will be 1-2 schools that pass through in day or two but not the massive schools that gave 3-6 weeks of steady fishing. Used to follow reports as the school worked north.

Two theories on why few Macs are around. One is the population was crushed back in late 80's and never recovered. US netters sold the fish to foreign process boats.

Other is the schools now are much farther off shore and out of range of most sport fishermen.

They still catch Macs up north - so there are some around , just not in great numbers off Md coast.

I miss going after them - it was fun fishing only 3-7 miles out. Last trip I did we run / gun using fish finder. Ended up 2 miles east of Jack Spot with only about 10 Macs and few doggies. That was 1996 - I still hope to hear of a run.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Serious shoaling. Sand is moving in and commercial boats are having a hard time getting in and out. I think some have already left OC. Many of the boats, even the smaller ones, were touching bottom in the highest tide. I think dredging is starting very soon and supposed to continue for three days nonstop. Basically the inlet is tring to close. What a major problem that would be for OC. I can't see they would let that happen.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Let us know what you find. I'm sure there are mackerel somewhere, just not near the beach or in numbers as seen long ago. It was amazing how many mackerel there were, but then maybe that's why there are so few now? I doubt it. That was a long time ago and they reproduce very quickly. I think there habits have changed.

also let us know about the inlet.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the answer.
Capt. Monte Hawkins of the head boat Morning Star out of OC emailed me the reason they're gone. In the early '90's NOAA declared the fish underutilized and opened the fishery to foreign fleets, as they say "the rest is history".

·
Registered
625 Posts
Got the answer.
Capt. Monte Hawkins of the head boat Morning Star out of OC emailed me the reason they're gone. In the early '90's NOAA declared the fish underutilized and opened the fishery to foreign fleets, as they say "the rest is history".
Oh man! That was stupid.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts