i'm thinking of trying to catch some spanish macs this weekend
leaving out of dymer creek
wheres the best place to go and what lures shud i use
plus, on a #1 or 2 planer, how far back shud the lure be
thnx

·
Registered
702 Posts
Conrad my man, you have to go NOWHERE!!! I was at Dymer creek this morning and caught 6 and lost 2. When you come out the creek there is the N buoy get in 27' of water and troll between that at 35'. All mackeral today were caught on gold and blues on silver. Start early trolling at first light for by 9 they will slow down, but not go away, I got 3 when i hit the deeper water around 10am. Good luck when you go.

pepsi man

ps #1 planer good way back. i usually count to 12.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanx, i really appreciate the advice
how far bak from the planer to the lure
tie to planer, tie to lure, ??? , or use swivels
thnx again and regards

·
Registered
702 Posts
I use a 10' leader from the planer to the spoon. Use a BLACK swivel to attach the end of you line to the planer and I tie the leader from the planer straight to the spoon.

Read in a fishing magazine last night that was new to me. Stated if you use droon spoons they work better at a slow speed whereas clark spoons require a faster spped when targeting macs.

GOOD LUCK
PEPSI [wink]

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Pepsi, do you really only use a three foot leader from your planer to your spoon? Most of the anglers I know use 10 feet or more. I use 15 ft. with a small barrel swivel in the middle of the leader.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Anyone fish for spanish today around Windmill R2 etc...?

I plan to fish in the morning before work. Was thinking of fishing the breaks around Dameron Marsh or running around to R2 dropoff.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I went with friends out of little creek sun am for spanish, my boat used #1 and 2 planers and my friends boat used in line trolling weights. They caught 3 to every one on my boat with the planers, silver crippled elwys with yellow feathered stinger hooks number 0 landed the most on both boats. We slowed down and caught blues later for flounder bait and managed a few for dinner. Nice mix and food for thought on the trolling weights. They used 3 ounces early and went to 8 oz as the sun got up around 9 or 10.
Mel
Catchone

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Just curious. How do you keep the spoon from skipping off th esurface when using only 3oz weights at the speed required for Macs?

·
Registered
185 Posts
We use 6-8oz. in lines with a lot of success running about 15' of leader back to the spoon with a good swivel to prevent twisting.

·
Registered
120 Posts
more macs today along with nice taylor blues. macs 18-22 inch, the only thing i would suggest is using ball bearing snaps and swivels.

·
Registered
120 Posts
more macs today along with nice taylor blues. macs 18-22 inch, the only thing i would suggest is using ball bearing snaps and swivels.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thnx guys for all the help
my boat's speedometer is broken, (read: i don't know how to work it)
how can i tell i'm trolling the right speed for macs , 6-9 mph

·
Registered
702 Posts
Today I was watching the tack then comparing to the handheld GPS. 90 hp honda on 196 cc tak was pushing 2000 and handheld was reading 6.1kts. No macs thought just nice size blues.

Worked fleets bay, yellow buoy, windmill light, and out to R2, that is where we got the nice blues.

P.S. TO THE MISS MAE (25' PARKER) OUT OF DYMER CREEK, THE NEXT TIME YOU CHOOSE TO CRUISE PAST ME SO CLOSE, SO FAST, I WILL BEGIN LAUCHING 10-12OZ IN LINE SINKERS. PROMISE.

pepsi man

·
Registered
659 Posts
Pepsi,
Must have been close. Makes you wonder if they have any common sense at all. I bet a couple of weights off their boat will get their attention.
Bubba[angel]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts