Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang

I am mad, well not really at all :) The fishing is just so good in Virginia waters that now I am going to have to buy a place down in your neck of the woods along with a boat. It will take some time to find the right place and I think I already have the boat picked out, but hey life could be worse:rolleyes:

Spencer and I checked the weather Saturday afternoon and decided we were going to have a break in the wind and had to hit the CBBT for some catch and release. We called around and tried to find a third to come because we needed to shoot some pictures for a project we are working on and after a few hours finally hooked up with Brendan who was already down there and was looking for someone to fish with so he did not have to fish alone in his boat.

Spencer and I hit the road around 5am with the Parker in tow. We called Wild Bill and Simon who hit the water early and they gave us the thumbs up report which only made my foot a little heavier on the peddle as we headed south. We picked up Brendan at Kiptopeke Inn around 8:15am and got a call from Rob and Carolyn as we pulled out of the parking lot. They said "Splash that boat and get out here!". We paid our ramp fee in a lickity split and had the boat in the water in no time. As we got a glimpse of southern bay waters through the concrete ships we were welcomed by the sight of calm waters. We fired up the Yamaha and ran wide open through the Highrise and south a few miles. It was not long before we saw dipping and diving gannets. As we got closer we saw swirling fish all over, jumping bait and crazy birds diving all over. It did not take us long before we had our lines in the water and fish hooked up. It pretty much stayed that way until we felt a stiff breeze around 3:30pm and headed back to the barn. We did not have to move too far from the 4a area all day. We fished 15-38ft of water most of the day. We did not catch any monsters, but did catch fish up to 15-20lbs.

Spencer managed to land another tagged fish which was cool. He is two tagged fish for two trips in a row so far.

Tackle and lures: Spencer and I were using 6'6" G Loomis Med/Heavy bait casting rods with 14lb Fireline on a Shimano Calais reels. Spencer and I exclusively fished Tidal Fish Baby Minnow and Rock Candy style lures in 1oz and 2oz sizes in all chartreuse as well as silver and white colors.
Brendan threw the fly all day on a 9wt Sage Xi with a T-14 28ft shooting head which he had good success on all the way down to fishing in 35ft of water.

We finished up the day at Stingrays where we were joined by Wild Bill and Simon. We grabbed some grub and traded stories from the day and past trips and hung out for a while to come down off our striper high. After chillin for a while we all packed up and headed back up the road.

Another great CBBT fishing trip! We're ready for another trip and will see everyone down there soon:D

Below are some pics from the day.

Attachments

·
Registered
950 Posts
Looks like you had a great day. I was out at 4A Sunday and left a 3 when the wind first started and made a quick stop about 1 mile west of 4A where I had been watching the birds for about an hour. Caught one small one and headed for Lynhaven taking a beating. It must of been a snotty ride back to Kiptopeke if you left at 3:30.

·
Registered
485 Posts
LOOKS LIKE A GREAT DAY...i love those lite tackle times and looks like i need to get my flyfishing arm back in shape...move on down...we still have room for 1 more boater...lol

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pomoco wes

I think we just beat the really hard wind, but it was whipping right in our face the whole way back. It sure was a nice feeling to finally get inside the ships. The food at Stingrays made any sting the wind gave us go away quick :)

Ratter,

Thanks for the welcome. I did not think one more boater could hurt....lol

Brandon

·
Registered
126 Posts
ill take knowledgeable boaters/fisherman anytime, cuz they dont cause trouble. except for showing me up out on the water.:eek:

where are you looking for a house?

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have not started looking just yet, but will some point soon probably on the Eastern Shore side around Kiptopeke. We have our house in Northern Virginia for sale now and currently live full time in Easton, MD. It's only about 135 miles from our house in Easton to Kiptopeke, so thinking of that area. In no rush since the Kiptopeke Inn is a great spot, but will start looking soon. You guys just have too good fishing not to have a place there.

Brandon

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
great report mister - where did the pink Tag come from, do you remember ? Virginia Maryland VMRC VIMS ??

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Great report Brandon. Them Tidal Fish Lures sure are doing you well this year.

It's hard to beat this area for fishing almost all year around. When I retired from active duty Army, we made the decision to stay here. We enjoyed the fishing so much and I since yard work was eating into our fishing time, we went the condo route. Hard to beat a condo with a marina attached to the complex so you can jump in the boat and go when you have fishing time. Good luck in your move down our way.

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Yep, a good day at the 4A for sure. The light tackle is a blast.

Have you checked out the condos @ Kiptopeake? Can't get much closer than that.

Give me a call next time you're headed this way.

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Racn

I have to call tomorrow for the tag. I will post where it came from.

Hey Al

I did not look at them yet, but I will. Thanks for the heads up on them. Definitely will give you a ring next time we are down. I want to ride in that new nifty rig you got :)

Brandon

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
First Brincefield....

and now you......looks like we're about to become "Southern Maryland"!!

I can't think of two finer additions to the neighborhood!

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm with you Brandon. That place is amazing... Year round great fishing, a ton of stuff going on locally and the Outer Banks are right down the road. I too need to come up with a plan to move the family down there. Worst part is that I actually lived down there for several years and was dumb enough to move away back in the mid nineties. Live and learn!

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Brando buy your self a helicopter and you'll be all fixed up. Than you can take me with you and we can really cover some territory.:D

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Hank

I am working on a plane, float plane to be exact. As soon as I finish my license it will be a short 45min ride to get down there from Easton Airport. We'll really be in business then :)

Brandon

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've got a house on Rudee for sale-how big is your Parker?
I keep a 25 CC Behind the house but my canal can't handle much bigger (yet)
It'd be a great 2nd home, and even closer to the OBX!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hey Brandon

Bought Boat, Got Married, Had Baby, Selling Boat!!

Nice 31 Contender (31 Open) For Sale 2004 W/ 250 Hrs Twin 300 Hpdi's

Ask Al B It's A Sweet Ride. Large Bow For Fly Fishing

Terry

1 - 20 of 21 Posts