Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Not a fish but a crab got me in. Rather have a bushel of crabs than one rockfish!!........ Gary
That is pretty neat. WTG Gary. We will be eating crabs tomorrow at Suicide Bridge. I might order a soft crab sandwich also. How much longer will you be crabbing? Next month is oyster time. WOW! The summer is flying by.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Now I can say "I knew Gary before he was famous" :D That was certainly a photo worthy crab you were holding up !!!

·
Registered
14,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is pretty neat. WTG Gary. We will be eating crabs tomorrow at Suicide Bridge. I might order a soft crab sandwich also. How much longer will you be crabbing? Next month is oyster time. WOW! The summer is flying by.
The best crabbing is yet to come. September and October is prime crabbing time. I used to scuba dive for oysters near the Solomans Bridge but afraid to get in the bay waters now. I won't eat raw oysters until the water is good and cold, Jan and Feb......... Gary

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I read that, I didn’t know that was you. That’s awesome! Thought, dang, that crab is a meal in itself!

·
Registered
14,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I read that, I didn’t know that was you. That’s awesome! Thought, dang, that crab is a meal in itself!
It was 1.25 pounds packed full of meat. I got about 20 that size on that day........ Gary

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
The best crabbing is yet to come. September and October is prime crabbing time. I used to scuba dive for oysters near the Solomans Bridge but afraid to get in the bay waters now. I won't eat raw oysters until the water is good and cold, Jan and Feb......... Gary
Same with me. No oysters until cold weather. Ok I'm going way back to when I was a kid watching my Dad and his friends shuck and eat oysters. I remember them finding little crabs in the oysters. They would eat the little crabs. Also my Grandmother would put them little crabs in her oyster stew. How about guys and girls. Anyone remember anything like that? Your all probably too young to know about that.

·
Registered
14,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Same with me. No oysters until cold weather. Ok I'm going way back to when I was a kid watching my Dad and his friends shuck and eat oysters. I remember them finding little crabs in the oysters. They would eat the little crabs. Also my Grandmother would put them little crabs in her oyster stew. How about guys and girls. Anyone remember anything like that? Your all probably too young to know about that.
The little crab in the oyster is called a pea crab and I eat every one of them. It is said that if an oyster has a pea crab in it, that it comes from good clean water. Unfortunately I have not seen that many of them lately. When you watched your Dad eat oysters, it was very clean water and you didn't have to worry about bacteria. You just ate them in months that had an "R" in them....... Gary

·
Registered
14,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gun season for deer, that when we ate oysters
That would fly back in the day but I can't tell you how many opening days of gun season I hunted in a short sleeve shirt. I remember it being cold as hell opening day when I was young, 1970. I need that water to be cold before I eat em raw. ....... Gary

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Thanks! Very interesting Gary. The water is the reason we don't see the little crabs in oysters anymore. I should have known that. I did eat oysters in summer when I lived and fished on the Chester River. I could drift and drag my landing net on bottom in a few shallow ares and pick up a few oysters. I would eat them right in the boat. They were good and fat. Could have used a little salt. You young guys missed a lot of good stuff that is gone forever.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Gary,
I saw the picture and name and thought it was you. Especially when the text in the article sounded very much like your post on this forum. They were some pretty crabs. I am hoping to get out tomorrow and catch a dinners worth.

·
Registered
14,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gary,
I saw the picture and name and thought it was you. Especially when the text in the article sounded very much like your post on this forum. They were some pretty crabs. I am hoping to get out tomorrow and catch a dinners worth.
Thanks Ron. Crabbing has been good this year but you really have to work for them. It usually takes 5-7 hours to get a bushel. Only got 2 once. Good luck......... Gary

1 - 15 of 15 Posts