Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit the ice with Virgil Poe this Sunday, getting started fairly early in the morning. It was my kind of icefishing weather, bright and and sunny, great for a January sunburn, but not so great for fishing.The flat low tide was also stacked against us, but we were game for the challenge.

We managed a hand full of Yellow perch on tip-ups and jigging, and one fat White perch. Had a Pickerel at the hole but he flicked his head and shot the jig back out.

Setting up

First Yellow, soon to be back thru the hole.

Jigged Yellow, heading home.

Virgil with the fat ******.

A fun day on the hard water with an old friend.Thanks Virg (& Frank)

·
Registered
890 Posts
You'd be in business if you could hook into bigger numbers of those WP. That's a nice one. Haven't seen many Virgil reports lately, I caught my first Magothy Pickerel based on his advice from this forum.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Great report!! :thumbup: How far were you guys up river? I was checking on the boat the other day, and there was still a little open water along with the ice at Ferry Point.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Hardly seems possible that there is ice thick enough........Ice fishing scares the hell outa me:yes: I just crossed over the Magothy river bridge and east of the bridge is alot of open water.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Nice report and nice looking fish.Glad to see Mr.Poe out fishing,sure do miss his awesome reports and pictures.:clapping2:

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.
6,189 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for dropping by :clap:. On the way out the door to work but will drop back asap. Nice post C-neccker, and I still can't get your big fish photo out of the camera :confused:, but will. Just that my life is a merry-go-round right now. Quickly though, was 5" of white ice. heading for work :wacko:.

·
Registered
7,582 Posts
Pretty Yellow and nice White! Water through the hole looks very clean. I was waiting for a hardwater report involving Virgil. He seems to be one of the few brave enough to attempt it. You ain't catching me out there even in a nuclear winter.:D

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Good work fellas.

Hey Virgil -- my doctor cleared me to return to physical activity a week ago, so I hope we can get out some time soon.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cjacobs2, If you see us out there, I always have extra tip-ups and a spare set of ice spikes if you want to join the fun.

Bone-a-fide, more of the big white perch would have been nice.

Big E, Thanks, we did.

Jazzconcert, I think Virg answered you.

RiverCat09, Thanks, what I find is shady coves and low tide produce the firmest ice, sorry but can't comment on the exact location.

Shawn, I always enjoy your reports throughout the year, except that prop wrap one.:eek2: Might want to give those shore ponds a try. Or you're welcome to join us, just bring that fiddle for the slow stretches.

Ranger Rick, Virgil has a knack for pulling in the big ones, don't he. What's it gonna take to get you back out there like in years past?:thumbup:

Skyrocketing four wheeling prices?

magothymagic6, it looked big each time it zipped by the hole underwater, but since it spit the jig before making it much out of the hole, hard to say.

smellslikefish,

who said anything about the ice being thick enough?:D

seastallionmate, I don't get on the ice without them, thanks.

ReelSmith, appreciate the comments.

LarryC, I miss his photos too, especially shark fishing with pierced belly buttons.:thumbup:

Hey Virg, glad to see you weigh in, the aches and pains are gone enough for doing some more augering this weekend, you got to lighten that sled though.;-)

goose70, do you do any pro bono work on the liabilities of "safe ice" responses on public forums?:D

Thanks J.A., hope to meet you on the ice sometime.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey Bob,
Im a little late jumping in on your report but just had to say how much I enjoyed your report. Loved the photos of yesteryear. Those guys havent gotten any prettier. ;-) Glad you took the time to post.
Bob B

1 - 18 of 18 Posts