Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering where the Rockfish are in the Mag during different times of year; I dont fish for them much because I usually only fish for perch in the summer and sometimes pickerel in the spring. Where to fish is the big question. I have some poppers and some BA's I might also buy BKD's. Also are BKD's better than BA's. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I dont fish the Mag, but i would fish ledges, structure and the Mouth. The upper bay has had some nice fish being caught. I was up at the Flats this past weekend visiting and heard they were catching/netting fish in the mid 30's.. go get em

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I have caught rock in the headwaters of the Magothy fishing during the February perch runs and I have caught alot of rock in the Months of September and October in the Magothy trolling sm. bucktails, rattler traps and small spoons. I,m not certain of the availability of rock in between Oct and Feb though. I think as the temps fall in the fall, the rock ambush bait as it's exiting the river at different spots.......current breaks, ledges, points, structure, ect. Once the bait is gone, I dont know if the rock are hanging around in the winter months. The rock that I have caught in Feb. have been males in the 18-20" range and loaded with sperm so I am asuming that there must be some females that spawn in the river.

BKD's vs. BA's...........My opinion is that they both have good action. The Ba's seem to be more bouyant though, so depending on my fishing senerio is what I like better. At the "Rips" where the current is screaming, Im trying to get my lure to the bottom as quick as possible and the BKD seems to get there quicker. If Im jigging suspended fish at the BB and want a little slower drop, I may opt. for the BA. Also check out the Mann's Hard Nose baits at BP......They have a harder head on them and seem to hold up better fish after fish. When blues are in town, Strike King makes a bait that can be stretched out too two feet long and hold up to Blues unbelievably.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks i'll probably buy some lures like the swimbaits mentioned and also some bucktails or something for next year

1 - 5 of 5 Posts