Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember reading on TF about this some time ago. It is supposedly cheaper than Maryland fees. Has anyone here done this?

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
439 Posts
I have had many customers tell me about this. A guy I work with did the research and said its all leagal. $110.00 for 5 years Got the number at work...i'm gonna do it. For the 6-8 times a year I use my boat trailer...i'd have to be stupid not to.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Eric - You're right, I believe it was Bob H. that talked about it before. I've got 2 trailers that expire this month. Each one is $51.00. Maine registration would definitely be cheaper. I would like to hear more about this because I'm wondering how you can register a trailer in another state if you don't live there.

·
Premium Member
3,552 Posts
There are a few states that allow out of state registration, such as Maine for trailers and Delaware for boats. My father in-law is a truck driver (owner-operator) and has his trailer registered in Maine. I checked into it last year and it's any trailer except for RV's. Which sucks, my registration for my camper is due now and I think it's 160 bucks!!! Highway robbery!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yeah, I gotta pay $102 / year for a trailer which I don't even use in Maryland. Iam sick of this ripoff state. Now it's in-state tuition for illegals. It is never enough.

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
I checked with my insurance company to see if the trailer was covered with out of state tags.
It is. The Towing vehicle is the determining factor, not the trailer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
On The Flats
I use my maryland address for the Maine tag. When I bought my dump trailer they titled in in Maine with my same address no sales tax or inspections.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Does VA allow out of state registration?????

·
Registered
505 Posts
With the Maryland registration costs so high I really like this idea. That being said; what do you do with the trailer renewal notice that you get from Maryland? What do you do with the Maryland tag after you put on the Maine?

·
Registered
392 Posts
With the Maryland registration costs so high I really like this idea. That being said; what do you do with the trailer renewal notice that you get from Maryland? What do you do with the Maryland tag after you put on the Maine?
i gave my tags back to DMV:thumbup:

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Eric - You're right, I believe it was Bob H. that talked about it before. I've got 2 trailers that expire this month. Each one is $51.00. Maine registration would definitely be cheaper. I would like to hear more about this because I'm wondering how you can register a trailer in another state if you don't live there.
Hey Dale, I would have responded sooner but been in Cape May for the weekend. Use the link to Staab Agency that someone posted. No hassle other than having to fax proof of ownership for the trailer. You leave it titled in MD but registered in Maine, also no inspection isi required. I went for the 5 year tag and had the plates within a week.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts