Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed to upgrade my crabbing rig and just could not get over the $45 - $50 that the usual places wanted for the heavy duty net and the $30 that they wanted for a replacement wire basket...be it galvanized or stainless as I also had a net that needed a replacement basket.

I figured these nets are hand made......how hard could it be!

At first I was going to make the net and buy the wire basket but after you buy the basket you might as well just buy the whole net for the $15 difference in price!

Screw it......I can make the whole thing.

Material list:

wooded handle: 6 foot length from TruValue cost:$7.00
aluminum band: 48"x 1/8"x 3/4" from Home Depot cost:$7.00
stainless steel bolts, washers, nuts: from Home Depot cost: $3.00
stainless steel wire (I had it as my father worked for Baltimore Specialty Stainless cost: free

Ok....the hard part making the wire basket...well once you look at one......it is not hard at all.
It helps to have an old net basket as a guide!

It takes 16 pieces of wire, 60" long and straightened to make it easier to twist them.
I should make a tutorial just on the basket as getting started is the hardest part.

The baskets are made of 4 groups of 4 wires......16 total......that start by making a square in the center (2-3 twists). The size of the square is about 1" on the sides and it is these first few steps that dictate how large the holes will be in the net.
You now have twisted 4 groups of wire into groups of 8 wires.
The next twists will pull off 2 wires from each group and twist then together(3 twists)....the remaining 4 wires get twisted together to line up with the wires to the side of them.

Keep these holes about 2" in diameter as they will dictate the size of the holes later on the sides.........(this first net was running on the large size.)

Next, 1 wire is pulled from each side and twisted together (3 twists) and the remaining 2 wires get twisted together (3 twists).

This finishes the bottom of the basket......curve as desired.

The remainder of the net (the sides) is made by pulling the single wires together with 3 twists.......make the net larger a little at a time to meet up with the aluminum rim.

Wrap the aluminum band around a suitable object to round it off.......bend the two ends down to attach 2 1/2" to the handle with bolt, lock washer, and nut.........grind off extra.
This will give you a 14" diameter basket.

Attach wire basket to rim.(I will add more photos)
2 wires are wrapped around the rim in 16 places......there are many options here.
I went with wrapping all the around and twist back down on itself and crimping it tight....this will not allow any snags on the top of the rim.
I may come back and Goop the twist for more smoothness.

My second basket was a thing of beauty....the first basket went on my basketless net.

My new team: kids nets.......adult nets.

My cost: $17.00 + free wire, galvanized is easy to come by but not sure about stainless.

Time: 1 hour to cut, straighten, and twist basket.
1/2 hour to 1 hour to attach rim and basket to handle

Mark

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Thats a great hobby/pass time.

I think you could get $40 @. Maybe more.

What do you guys think? A nice net made by hand from a fellow Crab Board TFer?

Mark, I am just sayin is all. Nice job(s)!

Dave;-)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Very cool. I'm not sure if I can make it this year to crabfest because of the Ravens game, but it might be something that others may want to see you make in person. If not crabfest, definitely snoodfest.

·
Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My busines
5,159 Posts
Good lookin' nets!

Two years ago I made one similar to yours also using stainless steel wire that I got off eBay. It's welding wire that's stiff as a nail and extremely difficult to bend.

It turned out to be a great net thanks to my wife's help figuring out exactly which wire went where. The completed net is rock solid and never bends or distorts with use. It'll outlast me!

Maybe this winter we'll make another.

Mark, do you know what grade wire you used for your nets?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Polecat,

The wire is just the right guage and stiffness that all the other nets are made of....a medium stiffness.
I believe it was used as tie wire for epoxy coated re-bar for concrete reinforcement.

Mark

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thats nice work there Mark. One thing I do is use bamboo for my handles. Its lightweight, strong, free, and has a nice texture too it as well for a good grip. Also does not get cold on your hands in the fall.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I would love to see one in the "flesh" - if you are coming to crabfest please bring one or two along - if they are what they appear to be I'd like to order two for next season!:yes:

bayhead

·
Registered
1 Posts
Made one too

Man forgot my dip net at the beach (OC) and wanted to crab the Chesapeake this weekend - had an old worn out metal net that rusted out and was done at home. had seen complete nets for sail at Bait and tackle in Lexington Park but priced at $79. Found this post and decided to make my own replacement net. Bought stainless wire at Harbor Freight for $7 (.041 size wire). I admit it was a bit intimidating at first but after I traced the pattern of my old net I got'r done. The wire from Harbor Freight is a bit soft for this task - gauge is fine but it is just a bit too pliable. Anyway it looks acceptable for a first attempt. I plan on making another one (complete set up this time) with the wire I still have left . This post was terrific to help me start - very nice instructions and photos - thank you! I'd add a photo of mine if I could figure out how to. I may try mig welding wire next to see if it is stiffer for better shape. Stay tuned...

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
If anybody needs a net, I am making 2 versions that I learned to make from this very tutorial about 4 years ago.

FWIW, by the time the crab realizes the harbor freight wire is pliable, it’s too late. I have 3-4 seasons on mine, lost track now.

Remember, the traditional nets were rope.

Chris

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I am brand new to the forum. I recently started recreational crabbing, and I absolutely love it! In addition to my passion for the outdoors and wildlife, I have an innate desire to create/make things with my hands.

Since the time that this thread has ended, has anyone run across any websites/links, YouTube videos, or other means of teaching how to twist your own quality metal/wire crab dip net? Or maybe know someone in the Anne Arundel and Calvert County areas in MD that could show me the skill? I am particularly looking for something with pictures or video. It seems that at some point in time there might have been pictures posted by Mark Takacs (originator of this thread), but I am unable to view them now.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Many years ago my locate tackle shop who's no longer in business had a fixture for making nets. The owner offered many times to show me how to make a net. Sadly, I never took him up on his offer. I really regret not taking him up on his offer.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Nick the ones I am making off of this take about an hour and fifteen minutes including bending the frames, twisting the basket and mounting everything.

Basket is about 45 minutes.

·
Registered
11,907 Posts
I already bought one last year for $40 . I was just curious. I wanted an original rope made one but couldn't find any . I wanted it for more of a sun room wall ornament.hanging . Crabs can climb out of a wire mesh so you have to dump them quick one at a time . I use a deep fish landing net . At the end of the day I have more crabs in my basket . Book Leaf Publication World Organism
Building these type nets is a lost art. They were used prior to the invention of the crab pot when every crabber needed one. It was common in that era to dip 20 barrels of crabs a day. This builder started building them in 1915 and couldn't build them fast enough for the demand

·
Registered
1 Posts
I needed to upgrade my crabbing rig and just could not get over the $45 - $50 that the usual places wanted for the heavy duty net and the $30 that they wanted for a replacement wire basket...be it galvanized or stainless as I also had a net that needed a replacement basket.

I figured these nets are hand made......how hard could it be!

At first I was going to make the net and buy the wire basket but after you buy the basket you might as well just buy the whole net for the $15 difference in price!

Screw it......I can make the whole thing.

Material list:

wooded handle: 6 foot length from TruValue cost:$7.00
aluminum band: 48"x 1/8"x 3/4" from Home Depot cost:$7.00
stainless steel bolts, washers, nuts: from Home Depot cost: $3.00
stainless steel wire (I had it as my father worked for Baltimore Specialty Stainless cost: free

Ok....the hard part making the wire basket...well once you look at one......it is not hard at all.
It helps to have an old net basket as a guide!

It takes 16 pieces of wire, 60" long and straightened to make it easier to twist them.
I should make a tutorial just on the basket as getting started is the hardest part.

The baskets are made of 4 groups of 4 wires......16 total......that start by making a square in the center (2-3 twists). The size of the square is about 1" on the sides and it is these first few steps that dictate how large the holes will be in the net.
You now have twisted 4 groups of wire into groups of 8 wires.
The next twists will pull off 2 wires from each group and twist then together(3 twists)....the remaining 4 wires get twisted together to line up with the wires to the side of them.

Keep these holes about 2" in diameter as they will dictate the size of the holes later on the sides.........(this first net was running on the large size.)

Next, 1 wire is pulled from each side and twisted together (3 twists) and the remaining 2 wires get twisted together (3 twists).

This finishes the bottom of the basket......curve as desired.

The remainder of the net (the sides) is made by pulling the single wires together with 3 twists.......make the net larger a little at a time to meet up with the aluminum rim.

Wrap the aluminum band around a suitable object to round it off.......bend the two ends down to attach 2 1/2" to the handle with bolt, lock washer, and nut.........grind off extra.
This will give you a 14" diameter basket.

Attach wire basket to rim.(I will add more photos)
2 wires are wrapped around the rim in 16 places......there are many options here.
I went with wrapping all the around and twist back down on itself and crimping it tight....this will not allow any snags on the top of the rim.
I may come back and Goop the twist for more smoothness.

My second basket was a thing of beauty....the first basket went on my basketless net.

My new team: kids nets.......adult nets.

My cost: $17.00 + free wire, galvanized is easy to come by but not sure about stainless.

Time: 1 hour to cut, straighten, and twist basket.
1/2 hour to 1 hour to attach rim and basket to handle

Mark
thanka for sharing Mark. Would you be interested in making 2-3 of those nets for sale? I live up in New England and they would be great to have for the upcoming blue crab season. Name your price... reasonably : )

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.