Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and i just put a down payment on a 96 mako 263 WA. We both fell in love with it and agree it would be the boat for our growing family. It has twin 200 Mercs (same year as hull). My question is has anyone had troubles with this hull, or any mako for that matter and any trouble with mercury motors. Any feed back will help with my final dission, thanks

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
[Q]bucbas3 originally wrote:
Wife and i just put a down payment on a 96 mako 263 WA. We both fell in love with it and agree it would be the boat for our growing family. It has twin 200 Mercs (same year as hull). My question is has anyone had troubles with this hull, or any mako for that matter and any trouble with mercury motors. Any feed back will help with my final dission, thanks
[/Q]

No offense, but isn't it a bit late to find out about problems after you put out money for a down payment? One thing I would do if I were buying a nine year old boat (ten years ago I bought a twenty year old boat) is to have it surveyed to ensure it's integrity. Most insurance compnies I believe will insure without a survey until it's ten years or over, but I would have it done for peace of mind.

Also, I hope you took it for a ride first and in the snottiest conditions you could find to see how it rides and handles. Might be a wetter ride or a bouncier ride than what you're looking for. Inaddition to handling you might get an idea how much fuel it will burn if that's a concern. Twin 200s will go thru about 23 to 26 gallons per hour at cruise plus oil (one pint for every six gallons at that consumption rate) which aould be in the neighborhood of 1/2 gallon an hour ($7.50 per hour in oil).

Good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the down payment is only to take the boat off the market until it is survayed and we water test it. My question is about mako do owners like them or not.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have a 1988 261 center console. I Love the boat it isone of the best all round perfromers out there and it is built like a tank. It has gotten me out and back in some pretty snotty seas. It is my understanding that the 263 has the same Hull design as the 261 with two extra feet and the W/A cabin.

I have never ridden in the 263 so I can not speak for the ride. and I am not familar with the 1996 models

Go to www.classicmako.com for more information

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Buc - search the net. I recall reading about 6 month's ago something related to problems with Mako's (structural) but have forgotten the details. Every boat has problems at some point during production. A good surveyor will help.

·
Registered
11,075 Posts
A friend had a 26cc w twin 200 Yamahas.It rode great.Personally I wouldn't want any more Mercs.Had bad luck with them.He also had a 23 Cuddy that was almost all cabin.It rode terrible.The cabin was too long.Porposed all the time because it had too much weight in the stern.3 fishermen,twin engines,ice chests,gear,etc.The boat couldn't be balanced even with cavitation plate fins.Trim Tabs would have put too much drag on the boat.It would have slowed it down and burnt more fuel.A Mercs lifespan is about 1,000 hrs.get a BUC Book value of the boat from a library.it also is good to know where the boat came from.Boats from Fla.are worth much less than boats from say the Great lakes.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Cant speak for the hull but can speak for the 96 Merc 200. My 200 ran perfect if you didnt flood it pushing the key in too long. Was getting a little low on compression, 90-93 on all 6. Had to replace starter and had carbs rebuilt. Still pushed 23 footer 48 mph.Just sold that Boat, Going back to where I belong on a liittle boat with a tiller steer motor. Simple and cheap.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hey there. I bought a 1998 293 last October w/225 SUZIS. A couple of note on previous posts: 1) Gas hog, correct, 2) Boat ride is awesome. Took mine out 60mi. for the first time this past weekend and it performed very well. Hope if you go offshore you have auto pilot. It is a dream. 3) The Mako that was the big probmlem was the 286CC. it had transome failures out the ass.
I'm not sure of the Merc engines. The boat is great and is probably loaded with cool stuff that will take you weeks to figure out.
When you get it and if it has an owners manual, please contact me. I did not get one with mine and assume that they are close enough. I will gladly pay for a copy.

BITE.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts