Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish I could post the pic's of this dog leg you would not believe it but then again you may not want to see them. If he would have just taken his dog to a vet in the beginning his dog would not had suffered. The one thing this article did not state is that we can go to his property anytime we want and check the animals that the judge allowed him to keep.

FREDERICK -- A Howard County paramedic who thought he could treat his German shepherd's injured paw himself instead of taking her to the veterinarian was fined $200 plus $57.50 in court costs Wednesday when convicted of animal cruelty.

Nine days after Kevin Patrick Buker, 38, of Libertytown, realized 5-year-old Tasha was injured by getting tangled in a metal cable in August, the dog's condition had deteriorated, according to documents filed in Frederick County District Court. It was so bad, he took her to the Buckeystown Veterinary Hospital to be euthanized and cremated.

Before cremation, Dr. Brooke Loewenstein removed a bandage from Tasha's paw, according to the documents.

"A horrific necrotic odor was present, with maggots seen on the dressing," the documents stated.

Three inches of metatarsal bones were totally exposed, absent of any flesh, where the dog had been licking and chewing at the injured area, the documents state.

Loewenstein contacted the Frederick County Division of Animal Control.

Animal Control Officers Michael Douglas and John Teal investigated the case, and a psychological evaluation was conducted on Buker.

The psychologist said Buker's error in judgment was his belief that he could treat the dog's torn paw himself. He is not a veterinarian.

Assistant State's Attorney Kirsten N. Brown wanted Judge Oliver John Cejka Jr. to prohibit the Buker family from keeping their more than a dozen pets, including cats, rabbits, alpacas and dogs.

They bought a Labrador puppy for Christmas, even though they had financial difficulties covering veterinary bills, court documents state.

Cejka allowed them to keep their animals, but he told them they could not get any more while Buker is on 18 months of unsupervised probation. The judge suspended a 90-day jail sentence.

Defense attorney Marc Ward represented Buker.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
I wish I could post the pic's of this dog leg you would not believe it but then again you may not want to see them. If he would have just taken his dog to a vet in the beginning his dog would not had suffered. The one thing this article did not state is that we can go to his property anytime we want and check the animals that the judge allowed him to keep.

FREDERICK -- A Howard County paramedic who thought he could treat his German shepherd's injured paw himself instead of taking her to the veterinarian was fined $200 plus $57.50 in court costs Wednesday when convicted of animal cruelty.

Nine days after Kevin Patrick Buker, 38, of Libertytown, realized 5-year-old Tasha was injured by getting tangled in a metal cable in August, the dog's condition had deteriorated, according to documents filed in Frederick County District Court. It was so bad, he took her to the Buckeystown Veterinary Hospital to be euthanized and cremated.

Before cremation, Dr. Brooke Loewenstein removed a bandage from Tasha's paw, according to the documents.

"A horrific necrotic odor was present, with maggots seen on the dressing," the documents stated.

Three inches of metatarsal bones were totally exposed, absent of any flesh, where the dog had been licking and chewing at the injured area, the documents state.

Loewenstein contacted the Frederick County Division of Animal Control.

Animal Control Officers Michael Douglas and John Teal investigated the case, and a psychological evaluation was conducted on Buker.

The psychologist said Buker's error in judgment was his belief that he could treat the dog's torn paw himself. He is not a veterinarian.

Assistant State's Attorney Kirsten N. Brown wanted Judge Oliver John Cejka Jr. to prohibit the Buker family from keeping their more than a dozen pets, including cats, rabbits, alpacas and dogs.

They bought a Labrador puppy for Christmas, even though they had financial difficulties covering veterinary bills, court documents state.

Cejka allowed them to keep their animals, but he told them they could not get any more while Buker is on 18 months of unsupervised probation. The judge suspended a 90-day jail sentence.

Defense attorney Marc Ward represented Buker.
sounds like not the first person you want to see after they pull you out of your car.

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Big Jim, You are right it does not constitute criminal behavior but we like getting the word out that we will NOT tolerate this kind of neglect. I have been doing this job for almost 24 years and it just amazes me just what people are capable of doing. I know the guy thought he was doing the right thing for his dog by treating it himself but man could he not see that the leg was not getting any better.

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jim I do understand what you are saying but on the other hand maybe it will tell folks to take there pets to the vet before it gets that bad. I have charged well over 100 people with cruelty to animals and some even got some jail time out of it. As you know the system likes to give them a slap on the wrist and send them on there way and I had a lot of that happen on some of my cases. Animals are consider property and there’s nothing anyone can do if you take your dog in the back yard and put a bullet in its head as long as he does not suffer, but that’s life.

·
Registered
16,826 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’m not going to get in a pis##ng contests over this and I sure hope that I did not offend anyone that I posted it. If someone is going to put a bullet in there dogs head they better make sure they kill it with one shot and if not they better not let anyone see they do it, it’s a felony in Maryland to “Unlawfully kill” any animal.

Lance, Thanks buddy and you are so right about that they always seem to stand by your side, and when are we going togging again man I’m ready.

·
Registered
16,826 Posts
I didn't mean to make it sound that way. To begin with, I was unaware that you were in this type of law enforcement.

I love my animals and have several. I also am old fashioned enough that the last time I had a dog go down I did not take him to the vet to have him put to sleep but took care of that myself. I felt I owed it to him.

No one should be allowed to treat an animal terribly. On the other hand, if someone is doing the best that they can, I am not sure that punishment is the answer. We punish to correct behavior. In this case I believe that rather than correcting behavior it is just as possible that all that has been accomplished is changing behavior. I did not point that out to say that you or anyone else is wrong. I just think that there are other options regarding the intended results that may not be as positive as hoped for.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
26,177 Posts
I can see treating a dog's cut yourself.My Lab cut his paw-we called the vet-and they said to put the paw in corn starch-which helped the paw clot.What a mess but no way to stitch the pad together.This guy should have smelled or seen the cut on his dog was getting worse and went to the vet.Maybe others will read the paper and take more care with their pets. Skip

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jim, like I said I have been doing this job for 24 years and I have seen the good and the bad and maybe this guy thought he could help out his dog but like Skip said and also the vet you could really smell the rot coming from his leg. I have to say that 90% of my job is educating the public on animal care just like putting straw instead of a blanket in your dog box when he’s outside in this cold weather we been having, or making sure they at least give there dog fresh water 2 times a day instead of him trying to lick the ice that’s in his bowl. I guess this case got to me a little because this guy is out there saving lives but yet he was not helping his dog. Jim I’m the most understanding guy you could meet and I give just about everyone the benefit of the doubt but sometimes I have to play hardball and when my Officer told me about this case I gave them direction to charge him. A vet is just like a Doctor they are obligated to contact us when they have a case like that but I can tell you that NOT all vets do. This is a tough job and thank God I only have 1 year and 6 months to go.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
Wow what a idiot,some people just lack common sense and don't deserve to have pets .And he is supposed to be a paramedic?

Good job Steve ,I'm sure you rather chase EMUs ;) :D

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Hey give the paramedic a break... Frist was adopting and killing cats for years before he became a doctor or senator.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
umm. does anybody wonder about his competence as a paramedic but I?
HJ, a paramedic is there to "stabalize" a situation until further medical treatment can be attained. They don't "cure" things, they are not Doctors.

At some point, long before it came to having the dog euthanized, a "reasonable" person would've sought after another option to get his pet better:(

Tony

1 - 20 of 26 Posts