Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just had the tyfest. The weather is turning to the good. I was just outside this morning and its going into the high 50's here.:thumbup: I'm going to uncover the small boat. Getting my fishing license today.:clap: Man their should be tons to talk about. Ok how many of you jokers have cleaned those lines you put away last year and said , all I'll clean them in the spring.:confused: Well its getting time to do it. don't wait till spring or when your going fishing the next day. I've seen just to may people have problems and blaming their equipment when it was them. They had not cleaned their lines in months. I clean mine after every trip. I've talked to alot of the big name guys in fly fishing. My first question to them always was. How often do you clean your lines. Their answer was after every trip. So now you know their secert to good casting. Hello wake up. Hibernation is over. bwahahahaha:yes:

·
Registered
762 Posts
Good topic, Walt. I was careless about cleaning my lines until one day when I got a lecture on the subject from Howard at Joe Bruce's store. He was a WWII vet like my father was, so I was conditioned to pay close attention to men like that.

That was about 10 years ago, and since then I've been religious about cleaning my fly lines after every outing and actually enjoy it. I think the enjoyment from doing it immediately after use is because it actually sort of serves to lengthen the fishing trip. As part of the ritual I clean and inspect the rods, check the leaders closely and repair or replace as needed, inspect and clean the reels which, of course, is vital if used in salt water. Many of the tips about gear cleaning I got from you, Walt, and I would encourage you to repeat them here for the benefit of others.

It's all about attitude. If you like to fish, you probably like the gear. Cleaning lines, rods, and reels gives you another opportunity to play with your toys. When you look at it like that, it doesn't seem a chore.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Your right Walt it is dead around here. I will post some ramblings.

I just talked to Capt Mike Benjamin at 9 AM and he was fishing. Had to stop and catch a fish as we were talking. Said there was still ice on the Northeast River and he was catching YP through the ice. He tried Port Deposit in his boat yesterday but could not find fish. Flats temps were 36 degrees. I would doubt the start of the C & R season tomorrow will mean anything. I am not taking my boat down yet.

May tie some poppers today. If I do, I may start a "show your favorite poppers" thread to try to get something going. We fish Raritan Bay in the spring. Huge stripers are caught on live and dead bunker but are really tough to get on the fly. We mostly target blues on poppers. When it is right, it is just about every cast. The blues are not gators but not dinks either. They run from 3-10 pounds. It is strange but they have a definite preference for white poppers, not yellow or chartreuse. There is absolutely no doubt about this. The difference is dramatic and as definite as anything can be in fishing. A couple of trips over there with those blues requires a pretty good stash of poppers. They will still hit them long after they have stopped looking good to us. Once the tail is chewed off, they are not very effective.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Walt,

I've never been very fastidious about cleaning my fly lines but intend to change that this year. In the past, I would clean lines after about every 5 or 6 uses. So far this year I have been doing it after every trip. I have not noticed a significant change in casting, but then again most of my fishing has been on small pieces of open water on the Big Thompson and most of my casts have been no more than 20' including the 9' leader.

The recent warmer weather here has opened a lot more of the river. I was out yesterday afternoon on the Big T fishing a stretch new new me and came across a nice pool where I could actually crank out a 50' cast to some fish rising to midges. The line did seem to cast a bit easier despite the cold weather kinks in it.

Guy

·
Registered
22 Posts
Walt,

I have religiously cleaned my fly lines after every use, simply because that's what my fly fishing mentor said I should do.

Mark

·
Registered
842 Posts
Walt,

I will have to clean mine in a hotel room in Florida, I haven’t had time to do anything this spring, any fly’s I get tied for this trip will also be in the motel room, I will start loading the truck tonight and hopefully every thing will fit. I have a trip with Frank, and a night shook trip. We will fish the Tamami trail for snook and baby tarpon. When I get back maybe all the ice will be out of the river and the stripers will be around.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I clean mine after every trip, too...not only will it help your casting distance/accuracy, but you'll add YEARS to the life of the fly line (and they ain't cheap!)

-- DHE

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hey Walt,

Like Ken said, We've been burning the candle at both ends lately! As an example...

Our gear will get cleaned and checked tonight. Friday, we drive to Venice FL for the next week fishing around Siesta, Casey and Manasota Key:) We chose to drive rather than fly so we can take the 'yaks! This is our vacation and we'll be home on March 11th.

On the evening of the 13th I fly to Swtzerland for work. Spend the weekend and take the train south into Germany to work the following week. I won't see home until Friday night March 23rd.

However; Ken leaves the morning of the 23rd for a conference near Pittsburgh so we will not see each other. He won't be home until the evening of the 25th.

Only 6 more years until retirement!

Di

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
doug your right about howard. Man i miss him.

hey mark bwahahahaha yea retirement is the only way.

Bill I've found the same thing with the blues and white poppers. i keep a box full of them I also keep a few markers in differt colors just in case.

mark (mp) you mentor was a smart guy. bwahahahaha

hey guy you can get away with that on those clean and clear rivers out there.

Go ahead ken and diana rub it in. bwahahaa

dhe it does make a difference doesn't it.

Ok after i posted this thread. I went fishing. The weather down here was great today. but nothing in the inlet. they are all moving up to spawn. I guess i start with the ponds till thing start hoping again here.

this is also more like it. bwahahaha see how easy that was.;)

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Shad will be starting in about 4 weeks, then this forum will be hopping with reports. Hard for me to believe it though. The south slopes up here in the Catoctin Mountains are starting to open up, but my north facing lawn is still totally covered with rock hard snow.

·
Registered
55 Posts
ken tidy,

what part of the Tamiami trail are you fishing. I was down in begining of february and fished in the begining of the everglades. The water dipped and the snook moved out. didn't fish the canal to long, saw some gators and I was by myself. Gets a little spooky, saw some splashes and something feeding on mullet maybe. Wasn't to mobile with flip flops and shorts with snakes and fire ants.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts