Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rough day for me broke off first two throws so ran a little line and gun shy after that :rolleyes: Did manage 130yds on the last cast with my 525 mag on 2, still far from last weekend. The headwind didn't help, I had got my hair cut, and the sun was in my eyes :D

Bunch a nice folks and even some VCAN members out there today that were castin' further then I. So yall feel free to sound off with your longest including the distance casters :rockon:

Go long,

`bucket

·
Registered
20 Posts
BROKE OFF 4 out of 5 CASTS i did out there... i got there WITH THE WIFE!!! woo hoo... i got her out there... cool... anyways... i got there and i needed to clean the AVET... cleaned it... asked spyderhitch for some oil and he gives me ROCKET FUEL!!!:eek: ok... so i put it on there and added more line to the spool... i finally casted after everyone else and POW!!! line broke... second.. POW!!! birdnest... THE REEL WAS FAST... so i backed it off... third!!! POW!!! dammit... backed it off again... wait... I BACKED IT ALL THE WAY!!! till it couldn't do it no more... and POW!!! did it again... my fifth was a LOB ... and that was the only one that didnt... that damn rocket fuel made that reel GO SO FAST!!! that there was no way of controling it EVEN with the MAG... holy **** spyderhitch... next time i need oil... jsut take it out of your car... thanks man... now i gotta clean that damn thing all over again... and put new oil in it... OR... jsut get a KNOBBY... thats how my day went... thanks to danville and others that went today... it made my casting time better... learning and picking up different techniques... thanks...

"G":boat:

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
been sick in bed since thursday.....sunday am 0800 first time i been up longer than 20 minutes girls

·
Registered
593 Posts
Any body needs a custom, check out the classifieds as I'm dumping a few rods I got lying around, all brand spanking new!

·
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HB

Feel free bunch of folks practice there especially this time of year. The casting field is in Chesapeake, VA at the intersection Centerville Turnpike and Ethridge Manor Blvd (SW corner).

Tommy Farmer is holding a casting class there this Saturday March 10th which is detailed further on PierandSurf website.

:cool:

`bucket

·
Registered
155 Posts
Mark how dare you post that wanna be a god site on here. You in trouble now go to youro Man Cave and think about what ya have done.

Well I didnt do to bad had one blow up and was pretty consitant this past saturday. first cast was like 335' then after that it was 365 and up with my longest being at 385 or so with a strong head wind and a 8 oz weight. And I also landed in the same area each time which was 15 feet or so from the right side of the tape. So i guess it is good to be landing in the same area now all i need to do is get a lil more distance. Andy I will beat ya son lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
when i get my stuff right over there in the field.. i know i can outcast andy... andy=nothing... you need to shot for higher goals fishbone... like how to outcast me... hahahaha... just playin.. you practicing this saturday??? brandon... yes.. tommy farmer... if you all know.. the american record holder will be holding a casting session there... he is charging some folks.. but i dont exactly know all the details... so... don't hold me to it... but... i will be casting there... free field man... it was there before the tommy farmer got there... we were there before the farmer got there... ya know what i mean... :cool:

"G"

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yeah $50.00.......... about the price of a little bit of tackle.......... respect the sport, respect the guy, respect the clinic, enough said. ;)

·
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Brandon ...

... given the shared stake holders and the fight for public access, we/VCAN called a ~ "truce" with the Mgt @ P&S ... actually we had already long since moved on and had started to focus on the real issues last Summer including like going to court to challenge the WSJ resident only parking, starting a non-profit, to dealing with DEQ, DCR, State elected officials, the City of Norfolk, NOAA, and as of late the Norfolk City Council ... check the recent content add to the VCAN website.

No clear victory yet at WSJ, but reasonable further progress is being made as the wheels of govt turn slowly. While Dixie has championed VCAN's enhanced public access for all to the Refuge (AKA night surf fishing this Fall) :jackthread: Thanks again to all our Virginia public access non-profit VCAN supporters ... were in it for the long hall as that's what it is gonna take!

Now back to this regularly scheduled thread topic, the Tommy Farmer casting class is worth it, especially if some personal instruction/critique of one's cast is involved. I will make it, if I am not incumbered with the girls this Saturday.

Hope to see you all there :cool2:

`bucket

·
Registered
155 Posts
Dont think i can make this one Its Shaddowfish's B-Day (AkA David Kims oldest) ,party this weekend so ill be there with him.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dont think i can make this one Its Shaddowfish's B-Day (AkA David Kims oldest) ,party this weekend so ill be there with him.
so your saying we are invited to the party??? or can i come and help chaperone??? or.. jstu drink the beers up./.. i dont know.. what ever... but... personally... the whole tommy farmer thing is cool... but i feel that that is a bit steep... worth it if you think you need to go to a tournament... but PRACTICE with people that can help with out charge is better... i might be there... if i got 50 bucks... probably not though...

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
chit...i think i'll pay just to see what i'm doing wrong...
well the first step would be to LEAVE THE HOUSE......have you done thay in 2007 yet ?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I recently installed adjustable mags on 3 shimano toriums with great results. I like that they hold 400+ of 17-20lb and with the mags I can absolutely lay into them and not touch the spool at all until touch down. It's a great feeling to be able to throw as hard as you can and not touch the spool at all with no fear of a blowup. I will never throw anything that I haven't personally magged again. I may be leaving a few yards in the reel but I could never come close when thumbing because I was so scared of what would happen. best with thumb was around 120yds.

180yds on a BPS ocean master cape point heaver with 8oz...measured

Just built a new rainshadow 1502 that I'll take out this week, hope to get over 200yds with 6oz. I may take 4-5 inches out of the tip to get good 8oz performance after I test it.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Charkbait, What size Torium are you using and can you explain (or point me to) instructions on how to "mag" it? Was it difficult?

I have two 30's that I've used from the beach, they cast good "as is" but probably too big for surf fishing, I mostly use them from the boat. I'm considering one of the smaller ones but not sure what size to go with.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts