Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy at work is thinking about buying a boat for use on the lower chesapeake. He wants to go big ( 28 - 30 ft). I explained to him that boats that big have too wide of a beam to haul on a trailer and therefore he would have to keep it in a marina. I also tried to explain to him that a 24 footer is all he will need on most days and you can trailer that boat from place to place. Would anyone like to pass on Marina costs in the norfolk area? Also, recommendations on boat size for the lower bay. I use an 18 footer and get by pretty well but I'm stupid and don't pick my days as wisely as I should. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Just got to look at the boats beam before buying it. I have a 31 Fountain and it has a 8.5' beam and I trailer all the time. Lucian has a 31 Contender and tows his. It depends on the boat. I know I cant afford $300+ a month at anyplace in the Lynnhaven area(and mama would kill me). He has to add in bottom maintenence too if he is going to stay in the water as well!!!! Any way you look at it boats are not cheap!!! Martin

·
Registered
389 Posts
If you are military Little Creek is a great deal. It is about one of the only good benifits we have left.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i work at the marina on base and did a price check around to the local marinas for slip rental. most run about $8.50 a foot per month with a min. of 150.00 per month, with metered electric and water. i havent found one cheaper than that.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Would love to pay what you guys pay. Down here in South Carolina slips (wet or dry) for rent start at $12.00 per foot. If you want to buy one the minimum is going to be $4,000 per foot. Most places have a 20' minimum. All that said it is still the best $240 per month I spend. You will use your boat twice as much if its in the water. Nothing like just stepping on or off the boat coming and going.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Ken G and jlabree are rigth on. The military base is the cheapest around . Thats were my boat is and don't plan on moving any time soon.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Marina Costs

I Have A 38' Deadrise Baybuilt Sportfish. Wanted To Keep It In Lynnhaven
Area To Fish Cbbt,cape Charles, Concrete Ships Etc. During May & June Only.
Then Move Back To Deltaville. Sent E-mail Inquiry To Long Bay Point Marina.
(no One In Office When I Stopped By) Got E-mail Answer That They Can Do It
For $575 Month. No Thanks, I Will Run Down From Deltaville And Burn Gas
Cheaper Than That For The Few Times I Will Actually Get To Go Out. Besides
I Found A 3 Bedroom House With Family Room And Fireplace And On The Water
With A Boat Dock In The Reedville/smith Point Area For Only $545 Month....

·
Registered
389 Posts
Give them a call and ask. The Cove Marina is located in building 1516 aboard Naval Amphibious Base Little Creek. For hours of
operation or more information, call (757) 462-7140.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the help guys. I will pass along all the info. He is not military so It looks it's gonna cost him a good bit. It's good to hear also that some 30 footers are only 8.5 wide and can fit on a trailer. Good fishing everyone.

·
Premium Member
7,664 Posts
I have a 31' Contender which is 8'6" wide at the stern, but 9'6" midship. I trailer it to OI and HI several times a year. I started keeping it at the house, but with trailer it was near 40' length and finally decided to put it in dry storage at Taylor's Landing, it's EXPENSIVE, but worth it.

Having a larger boat gives me more days to fish.

:rockon:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I Have A 38' Deadrise Baybuilt Sportfish. Wanted To Keep It In Lynnhaven
Area To Fish Cbbt,cape Charles, Concrete Ships Etc. During May & June Only.
Then Move Back To Deltaville. Sent E-mail Inquiry To Long Bay Point Marina.
(no One In Office When I Stopped By) Got E-mail Answer That They Can Do It
For $575 Month. No Thanks, I Will Run Down From Deltaville And Burn Gas
Cheaper Than That For The Few Times I Will Actually Get To Go Out. Besides
I Found A 3 Bedroom House With Family Room And Fireplace And On The Water
With A Boat Dock In The Reedville/smith Point Area For Only $545 Month....
You may want to consider weekend trips and pay $10/night to dock at Va.Beach Fishing Center or the Salt Ponds Marina.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts