Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a sign posted in front of Marina Shores from the Chesapeake Bay Advisory Board informing the public that there will be a hearing on 2/26 about the " Redeveleopment of marina to a new residential community". Does anyone have any insight? I have heard rumors in the past but they seem legit now.

David

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
Hey Dave , I saw the announcement for upcoming board action in today's VP Beacon section in the back? Maybe they want to develope some of the ajoining acreage for residential units ? Ask Peanut , he'll tell ya ! ;) Good luck when you go back ....

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scott,
Thanks for the info. Ill check the beacon and talk with Peanut. I may even attend the hearing. I would hate to see Marina shores disappear!!

·
Registered
16,826 Posts
It will eventually happen most everywhere. Waterfront property is too expensive to charge enough for slip rent to make a reasonable profit. I expect that the next thing we will begin seeing in the area is people purchasing their boat slips rather than renting them. Look at that advantages for the marinas. They can have their cake and eat it too. They can sell the slips and yet still have the business. Better get your checkbooks out. It is coming.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
This seems to be a trend along the whole East Coast. Marinas, fishing piers, and ramps are being traded for Condos. As Jim said, they can have THEIR cake and eat it too. Slips for SALE and Condos to own. How fast? Dunno! But watch for it happening in a neighborhood near you.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I talked with the leasing manager today and according to her, the dry storage is not going anywhere in the near future. The sign has to do with a drainage issue. Things might change 5 or 6 years from now, but again, not in the near future.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kithchen pass,

I honestly do not think the leasing manager was totally honest. Maybe direction she was given. Obviously they do not want mass exodus until last minute. It clearly states "New Residential community". I think if it was pertaining to drainage they would have implied that!! Just my .02. Im going to ask around myself and will report back. I may attend the meeting on the 26.

·
Registered
656 Posts
They tell me the condo development is to the East and will replace the shops and Surfrider not the dry storage. Guessing only the wet slips could be included,

I can see a condo including wet slips but would not want to be part of a condo assocation that had a lift storage with all the machinery and employees it takes.

Anyway we will have to wait and see for sure.

Boats

·
Registered
15 Posts
The dry storage will go first. The sand pit area behind the wet slips is controled by the city and the Corp of Engineers as a spoil site.The buildable area is the paved area + in front of the slips. ATPITK (according to people in the know) As noted in previous posts,boat slips and boats yards are disappearing at twice the speed of light. With their dry storage gone that will leave 400+ boats looking for a home. If the City of VB had any foresight they would get involved to try to facilitate dockage.etc for the public,similar to what the City of W.Palm did to save Sailfish Marina in Fl. That will never happen here.Better start looking now, its only going to get worse.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Boat Ramps Too

The commercial ramps are disapearing . Willoughbys gone to condos and others are to. The public ramps are not being built fast enough to replace them. I would guess FT Monroe wll soon be all upscale condos and no boat ramp or private marina. It should be a federal or state park with recreational and water access to all .The future way to water access is own some waterfront property or slip. It will take continueing deepening pockets to do it.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Same thing is happening to the properties I used to hunt Dave. One by one they are disappearing. Good luck, hope it doesn't happen.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Anything is possable, Marina shores owner is the one who ignored there use permit and extended the piers further than allowed. Then paid a hand slap fine that was paid back in a few years of extra slip rental.

Boats

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was told over a year ago that Marina Shores was going to close and residential properties would be the replacement. That's the reason Kokomos returned. My friend is the owner and he has a short lease - I believe less than five years and that started last summer.

I agreed boating is getting more and more difficult. With the property taxes going skyward, I would recommend asking someone who lives on Bay Island for a slip. There are many retired folks looking to help increase their income and just sitting on the escalated property.

Claude:eek:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Anyone know the price range ?

I hate the way that Shore Drive has turned into Condo heaven but That sounds like it will be a sweet place to live. I know the tennis courts (bubble) across the Great Neck Bridge tried to convert to condos but was denied and is now trying to push a little single family home development there on Long Creek. It will be interesting to see what happens with that Sandler Development (the Dunes) that they are trying to do over between Lynnhaven Inlet and Bayville Golf Course. Can't stop progress I guess.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
East Beach soon will be history.

The yard at East Beach Marina is closing early this summer to make way for---Condos. The marina will stay but one less place for a haul out. I know that Cutty Sark is trying to sell too.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I keep my boat at MS. If you want to find out the specifics behind the Chesapeake Bay Advisory Board sign, call the city's planning/permitting people. They'll tell what actions are planned. For what it's worth, I saw some development plans a while back and I seem to recall they (the condo's and parking areas) were in the footprint of the dry storage and the shops and restaurants. But, like some of you mentioned, I was told by MS management that this wasn't going to happen any time soon (whatever that means). Fortunately, I'll be moving my boat outta there in the next couple of months so that's one less thing to sweat.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My wife worked there for a few years and was sworn to secrecy. But now since she has left she can talk freely about the plan. The plan is to tear down the dry storage and put up condos on the footprint of the dry storage building and where all of the shops sit right now. I have seen the blueprints and it will consit of about 400 units. BUt the other plan is to do apartments and then the marina wet slips will stay. Either way dry storage is going away.

The office Manager whose name is Debra Janezeck will lie to calm the storm as she has been told so the owners can still make money before they kick everyone out. the slips will all be deeded to the condos when they are completed. The owner has been planning this for many years and she has stated that she does not want a marina any longer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts