Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Marine Max on the gunpowder is closing nov 1 . This is going to be a problem for a lot of people . Marine Max is the only place to purchase gas on the gunpowder. They state they are not selling the property and they are just going to sit on it awhile . This to me is hogwash. I live in an over 55 community in Abingdon where you can not put a boat. I do not like the Bush because I have been stuck in there while the proving grounds do their thing. I would like Harford County to step in and take over the Marina like in Havre De Grace but wish in one hand and you know the rest . Has anyone heard why Marine Max is so hush hush about their true intentions

·
Registered
579 Posts
Do you tow your boat or is it actually at the MM marina? I have kept my boat at Dundee for years and have never got gas at that particular marine max. Usually just fill up when I happen to be near middle or back river.. Plenty of gas opportunities there..

·
Registered
11,249 Posts
That will most likely happen. The property is up for redevelopment . The Severn & Magothy River are good examples .Most of the ma and pa marinas that used to dot these rivers sold out to developers for housing development. There were lots of boat rentals and inexpensive launch ramps up to the early 80s. It's easier and quicker in the zoning process to redevelop already developed waterfront property than trying to rezone and develop undeveloped waterfront property . Everything is already in place. Piers, parking, slips etc. New waterfront housing usually sells very fast when competitively priced in comparison to non waterfront or already existing older waterfront housing. It's the least risky and most lucrative way to go for waterfront development.I 've lived here on Rumsey Island since 77 on the water. The condos next to the property sold for $35 k in the 70s. Investors buying a level of 3 condos at that time got a deal for 3 for $100 k. Todays market is about 10 times that margin +-. About 5 years ago, there was talk about developing the Martins Lagoon property, owned by Martins as an old Sea Plane launch ramp on Middle river. Does anyone know what happened to that deal?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
About 5 years ago, there was talk about developing the Martins Lagoon property, owned by Martins as an old Sea Plane launch ramp on Middle river. Does anyone know what happened to that deal?
"In 2000, the Maryland General
Assembly, with the endorsement of Baltimore County's Office of Community
Conservation, Department of Planning, and Office of the County Executive,
passed S.B. 509, a bill that permitted the county to use eminent domain for
economic redevelopment. County Executive Ruppersberger and planners
sought to condemn approximately 300 properties in the eastern first-tier
suburbs of Essex and Middle River for a new waterfront mixed-use
development. Residents of these suburbs strongly opposed the county's
attempts to seize private property for private redevelopment. They formed a
community group named "Essex-Middle River Community in Action" to oppose the law.
On November 7, 2000, the group mobilized 70% of the
electorate to vote to remove the county's right to use eminent domain for
economic revitalization purposes."

http://www.thomasvicino.com/uar43-4.pdf

1 - 6 of 6 Posts