Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me some first person expectations and experience with marine surveys? I have a buyer for the Attitude and he is setting up a survey. What should I, she seller expect from this process? What am I, the seller expected to do? How invasive is the survey process?

Thanks in advance. At this point, it looks like Attitude II will be joining Attitude I aka Lady Nansea II in Austraulia.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Basically the surveyor is going to give the boat a very thorough inspection and generate a written report of it's systems, features and condition for the buyer. The buyer may use the surveyor findings to negotiate, or get out of the deal if bad problems are found. All systems are inspected (except engine and generator those are engine surveys, not boat surveys), hull condition, hardware, deck moisture, electronics, thru-hulls, everything. The buyer may or may not want you there (but it's your boat you can be there if you want). Frequently they start or end with a short haul (assuming not a trailerable boat) for underwater inspection. Often include a sea trial, but depends on what the buyer wants checked.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Scott. And also thank you Rgardn2 for your input. The buyer is overseas so the shipper/marine exporter is arranging everything including deposit and final payment on his behalf. No idea what has been asked of the surveyor yet which is why I was wondering what others have experienced. But, only way he or she do a survey is with me present. I'm just a little anxious as I've had to turn away 2 other potential buyers while waiting on this survey to take place.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
To add to what Rgardn2 said. The survey is non-invasive. No drilling holes or taking things apart . But at his point you should have the deposit money in hand before the survey. If the boat is rejected, then the deposit is returned.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts