Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to fix up a Mariner 15M (like a 1983 i think)...it runs reasonably well wide open, but is difficult to get down to an idle. I just found out there;s a little water in the gas so that may be the problem. I went to check the plugs and felt like there was a lot of fouling around the gaps, and small bits of black junk in the cylinder/on the inside of the plug. Is this normal??Do i have a problem inside the powerhead? Is there something I can do to flush out the engine? Also, does anyone have any ideas on how to improve the idle...Im thinking I'll change the plugs, get some fresh gas and maybe some carb cleaner and see how that goes. Then maybe move on to rebuilding the carb if necessary. Also, when run out of the water (with hose), water pours out around where the lower unit bolts on...is this normal? I know this is a lot of questions, but thanks if anyone has any input.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Replace the fuel, drain the carb bowls, and change the plugs. This will likely take care of the idle problem. Once it's running decent you can try some decarb like ring free or power tune. Water should not be coming out of the LU joint. You need to drop the LU and see what's going on. Your description doesn't have enough detail. You didn't mention if water was coming out the tell-tale (pee-hole). If you're not getting water to the top end you'll have problems real soon. Time to buy a manual.

·
Registered
629 Posts
There's a bunch of drain holes in the LU and midsection, so water coming out is normal. The holes are there to prevent water from being trapped and freezing. You should have zero water in the gas. Get that right first.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it does seem that its not that tightly sealed above the lower unit so i guess it would be normal for water to come out. there looks to be good water coming out of the pee hole so thats not really a problem. I think I might be missing a seal or something around where the water pump engages the tube up to the powerhead??. I have the clymer shop manual but the diagrams seem sort of nonspecific to what I am seeing in terms of the water pump etc... I assume that water coming draining out of the engine is normal but i just never really realized it was that much. Thx for the replies...it sounds like I need to clean up the gas and do some things before I start ripping apart the carb (thats good b/c i dont have much experience). thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
101 Posts
most of the time idle problems I had have been a clogged pilot jet (small one) . need to take carb apart and give a good clean. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts