Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

My reels are not level winds, so estimating how many ft I have out can prove to be more guess work than anything. I am interested in your differnent methods of marking your line for distance. In the past, I have wrapped my line with thread and secured it with a little super glue, but there must be someting better. Please share your methods.

Thanks

·
Registered
861 Posts
I've used permenent black marker in the past and it works great. It was still on there when I changed out the line the other day. I used a long three inch section for my 100' marks and two short sections to indicate my 50' sections. Just make sure that the marker dries before you reel it back on. I was somewhat worried at first about the marker weakening the line, but apparently it didn't.

Mushy
27' Judge
Chesapeake
"Getsome"

·
Registered
142 Posts
this is a real pain but it is about as accurate as it gets-i take those reels without the level wind on them to a football field walk em out and reel em back in after i have marked them i have used dental floss wrapped knotted around and that's ok but another way i think would be to cut the line and uni knot it back together the knot will reel up just fine its strong and you will never miss the mark-i think capt wayne may do that-i should mention i use braid so that makes it a bit easier to knot. Flan

·
Registered
424 Posts
I followed Captain Wayne Morgan's approach. Measure the line out, cut it and tie a double uni knot. I then use blue masking tape to mark the rod to tell me what position it's set in and how long the line is to the mark (rod # 2 - 200', rod # 4 - 175', etc.)

I tried the permanent marker, the level wind bars, and tying on thread but it was not as reliable a letting the line out to the knot, especially when your rolling around, driving the boat and whatevere else...you can feel the knot go through your fingers verses trying to watch for the mark or counting the bars. I now know where my baits are.

I have to admit that the concept of cutting a perfectly good line bothered me :eek2: , but I followed Waynes approach. I was out with him several times last year and he hasn't had any problems.

I didn't have any problems last year either...with the knot or breakoffs. He still catches more fish than me but I'm working ot that...

·
Registered
703 Posts
Line counter

I started marking the line with a "Sharpie". That worked OK but it was a pain
to pull the line out to a specified distance and mark it and then reel it back in.
I bought a Shakepeare Line Counter and haven't been sorry. They are about
$10 at BPS.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I use tape 1/4" wide tape sold at the local tackle shop. It comes in a few colors so I mark the same reel with a few different lengths. I also use a black marker to mark my tape in case it moves. This is as accurate as it gets and you don't have to worry that the super glue may be degrading the strength of your line and what to do if you have a breakoff and have knots in your line as markers.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Use small rubber bands, different colors......place band under the line, where you measured it, then pull one loop end thru the other loop and pull tight. Set up a color code system ( a simple one, like red 50', blue 100', green 150', beige 200', etc) (repeat on all rods), then after the band is pulled tight, you could snip some off, but the small colored ones are easily available, for under a buck / Staples. They won't deteriorate the line in any way, and go through the guides easy, without moving, after several uses the dye in the rubber band marks the line, even if they fall off, and the line does not hang up on them too. Best way I've found so far, without endangering the lb.test of the line.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Two of my trolling reels aren't level winds. If you're good at getting the line lay right you can estimate the length by counting the trips across just like counting the bars. I use braid on my level winds and 40# mono on the others - braid is too thin using this method. I've never tried the line counters because I've heard they're a pain. When it's too rough to worry about getting the line on the spool neatly I'll use those rods for bottom bouncing bucktails or a mojo and line length isn't an issue.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm going to chime in and agree with Stevewaters, I have marked my line with magic marker and it works fine. I now mark it with different colored tape for different distances, I didn't think about marking it with the magic marker to see if they move. Good idea. John

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
For those of you using tape on the line, does it ever hangup or get snagged on the level wind guide or on any of the other guides or the rollers when it gets pulled past the tape?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree that the counters can be a pain on some rod/reel combinations. Consequently, I take my rod/reels to a baseball or football field and with a snap swivel attached to the end of the line and the counter attached to the rod, I attach the snap to the chainlink fence and walk off the distances I want and mark the line with a magic marker at 25' intervals starting at 75'.

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
This is what I do.I have a mark in my driveway at 50' and 100'.I use braid for my trolling rods.I use a black "44 Magnum" marker.At 100' I put a 4' mark.At 150'-I put a series of 6'' marks on the line,leaving 6'' spaces between-looks like dashes.At 200' I put a 2' mark-a 1 ' space then 2' mark again.This way line can be let in/out to duplicate a hot rod.Also the marks give me an idea how far back the fish is when the angler yells "net".If the marks start to fade just use the marker in the morning before the line gets wet.I fine tune my spread by letting 10-20' past some marks.Being able to set the lure back EXACTLY where it was can really up your catch #'s. Skip

1 - 20 of 28 Posts