Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to see how all you Maryland guys faired this week. little check in if you will.

I myself went back home (Frederick) to my old stomping grounds I usualy go about 2+ miles back in . So I had no problem taking my 60 lb doe this morning.

·
Registered
783 Posts
About 8am three does ran past me so fast didnt get a chance to shoulder my gun. By 9am my butt was frozen so called it a day. Will try again Tuesday afternoon in the 70 degree heatwave!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Hunted the woods below my house. Killed a 120 pound 7 point about 0650 he was travling with a single doe. Stayed out til noon only seeing another doe in overdrive offering no shot opportunity. It was chilly out there but a little cloud cover and no wind made for a great hunt.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Great morning, one doe, to far to shoot. Back out in the afternoon only to find one hunter in my buddies stand and a pop up blind set in a field by my stand. These fellas have permision to hunt this farm but only through my buddy. They are supposed to call but they didnt. One was smoking a cigar in the stand. Nice way to end the day with gun hunting goof balls disrespecting land owner rules, others hardwork in placing and building stands and for the safety that ethical hunters strive for. Plus he parked his car 70 yards from the tent they had set up in the field.
These are the guys that give gun hunters a bad name. They buy a gun the day before, never site in, take shots way to long, wound deer, walk around at 8:00 in the morning, smoke cigars in other people stands, hunt out of other peoples stands, trash the area, etc., etc., etc. Then they're gone leaving a trail of stench for a true hunter to hunt through until the end of January. These are the "brown is down" type guys who could care less about tradition and mangaement than puting 20 pounds of meat taken from a dressed 40 pound fawn in the frezzer. If they only took the time to think of other hunters who truly hunt deer or to be somewhat thankfull for the permisson they are granted all hunters will better off. Let the fawns breed. There is nothing wrong with taking 1 1/2 old doe. More meat, right? Better for all of us, right? Sorry for being long winded and thankfull if i offended the ones i intended to offend. I see it every year and are only hopefull it will change. There is alot of hunters that get out more than once or twice during gun season, only because we love the outdoors, respect the game we hunt and do our best to preseve a tradition that burns inside of us.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Can't say it any better that Ryason just said it, my feelings exactly. I saw 4 does in the AM, passed on them hoping that buck would be following. Soon as they were out of my sight at the end of a long field, someone down at that end cut loose with 7 rapid, and I mean rapid shots. Shots so fast none could have been aimed. I'm thinking a .45 auto pistol. Anyway I saw the 4 does cross the field at 80 plus MPH, none the worse for wear, I hope. Bout 4:30 PM I had a big doe with 2 shortheads following her 40 yards from my stand. One of the shortheads was a button buck. I let them walk also. Then just about dark, a pretty good buck came along following the tracks of the 3 earlier. I had just lowered my gun to the ground on a rope unloaded, by the time I got it back up, he beat feet. I don't think I could have loaded and found him in the scope anyway, so tomorrow's another day. Good Luck, T.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I had a good weekend but never pulled the trigger. Throughout the weekend I passed up at least 20 different does, 4 basket racks, and last night I passed up a perfect 8 pointer that was probably 16 inches wide or so. I would not have mounted him so I didn't shoot, he will be a nice deer next year. Good luck with the rest of the season! Poon

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Same as poon. Passed on many does. Sat pm a nice 8 pt-ish large body buck came out with several does at 70, no clear shot. Went Sun pm and saw nothing from same stand. Time to break out the portable and fool em.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Ryason, wasn't that your son that got shortstanded during the early ML season???

If so, what's up with hunters on that property???????

·
Registered
546 Posts
No that wasnt me. I remember the post. That one spured off into when to take your kid out hunting. Mine is six and I took a lot of great advice on that post, just like most posts here. Wasnt me but another guy that has ding dongs hunting around him too.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Sorry, thought you were on a good run of bad luck. Hope this isn't the beginning for you.

Sorry 'bout the cigar smokers.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Poop heads on the only property I hunt here did a massive deer drive today???? Little hope I did have has vanished that I could still salvage bullwinkle later with my bow. I guess I am split on these freaking drives, cant they wait til the later season? oh well they were just hillbillies shootin, I saw some deer with wounds and broken legs...darn it!! I think it is stupid to intentionaly shoot at running deer. Oh well I need to stop before I get all wound up.

I guess I will spend the rest of the season hunting public for a Sika and some ducks!

·
Registered
248 Posts
opening morning and evening = nothing. no one in the club that i was in even saw anything. there was not a lot of shots heard either. hunted next morning with the same results. was going to hunt till 5pm sun and call it a day. about 4:30 heard movement and finally found him. pulled trigger. he ran directly under my stand and it was over. 5point in the back of teh truck for the ride home. cut it a little close but it worked out for the best.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Big body 4 point in the morning of opening day. In the afternoon, I let two small deer eat on the corn pile for 30 minutes before they walked on. I've already got 4 so far this year so I'm not too concerned. I may take off Thurs. afternoon. I hunt 3 farms and still have atleast one more good buck running around on each farm, so I still have some hunting to do.

·
Registered
621 Posts
B.L.

Only one good buck of each farm?
I love the hunters that think they know all the deer on the farms they hunt.

well if you do you either hunt alot and I mean alot or the woods are so small that you can visually catalog each deer.....whatever.

I forgot to bring my cable to download our photos and the card reader does not like the card I currently have in the camera.
Then when I got home....I realized that I had left my camera in my parka pocket. Oh well, we have taken two sika spikes and a nice six stag.......funny since we are usually 3:1 whitetail over sika. Now that the beans are gone the whitetail have not shown their faces in the fields.....I was waiting for them. Sunday was very quiet. Full report and photos to follow. I'm suprised noone else has photos to share.

Mark

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Please re-read. I stated atleast one on each farm. One woods is small enough that in January I can almost see all of the woods from one stand if I climb high enough. The other two are much bigger.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
No please try again. I said atleast one. You stated that I said only one. I did not claim to personally know every deer as you stated. I only said that I knew there was atleast one more big buck on each of the farms. Having seen them and still viewing new signs of them there, I don't think what I said was a bold or outlandish statement, you only interpreted that way.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hey Big Liar, I am with you. We manage our woods much like it sounds you do as well. We know every inch and every resident deer. MarkTactics is implying that many deer move around, and they do, but resident deer typically stay close to the home. Not always but for the most part. Some of us spend more time manageing what we have rather than just showing up on opening day and hoping for a shot.

Best of luck to all!!!!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts