Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Marolina 23 build has been held up by me lately because I have not been able to get over to make some decisions. I finally made it over on Monday and happy to report that we're getting close. The liner is ready to get put in and have the final touches. We're working on the leaning post design now which is going to turn out pretty sweet. The rod lockers in the floor are ready to go as well as the battery compartment that we designed that will hold the batteries under the console to keep them out of the way and low in the boat.

The main hold up lately has been figuring out the center console and how we are going to going to incorporate the t-top structure into/through the console. I do not want the t-top structure on the outside of the console because I think you loose a lot of space that way. Additionally we have lockable rod lockers built into the floor and I want as much room as possible on the sides of the console to be able to open and close the doors. Frankie from Maryland Marine met me at Bo's shop and along with Bo I think we have a plan of attack that is going to be pretty slick.

I am still working on how to power her. I am looking hard at the new Honda 250 that is coming out any day, but Susuki and Yamaha are still in the running as well. I am not sure any of them are that much fundamentally better then the others anymore?

I have not really missed not having a boat the last two years, with good friends who have boats and invited me now and again and a lot of travel for fishing I've been pretty happy. But, lately I've been itching to have my own rig again so I can head out when I want in some of the bigger water that I enjoy fishing. As it is coming together I am getting pretty excited, it is going to be a pretty sweet center console fishing machine and it is coming at just the right time. I am looking forward to splashing here soon.

Some pictures below. As we make progress I'll post more pictures in this thread.

Console from the side. A few adjustments still to be made, but its real close

Console looking at it from the front. The lockable rod lockers are in the floor on the sides of the console.

console from the rear. The front panel will be one piece instead of two as you see to make room for more electronics.

liner is ready to roll. You can sort of make out where the rod holders are with the step. This will make sure all the rod tips are safe. I learned the hard way from my last boat how exposed rods can get kicked by mistake.

Vented battery box under the console. The console is going to lift up for full access when needed to the batteries and electronics.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I like the Idea of mocking up the console with housing insulation foam. Is that just for design? Or will that become the actual core?

Why does the console have a curved top?

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Brandon -

I'm sure you are getting excited about having a new custom boat. You will have lots of fun outfitting it.

In the mean time, if you still want to target Severn pickerel from a kayak, let me know. The bite remains good (9 pickerel in two hours in Weems Creek yesterday afternoon). Compare that to zero pickerel during multiple pickerel outings in Weems Creek over the previous three winters. I have also caught pickerel in three other Severn tribs in the last month. The season is open until March 15.

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
buckshotgumbo,
Replied just now, thanks for the info on the engine stuff, any insight is appreciated!

paxfish,
I believe it gets glassed over once we get the shape set. I am not sure the foam itself stays or goes. I will ask Bo.

The curved top is simply "style":)) It will have a compass inset in the top. It also has groves in it which is a Carolina style thing. Do you like it or no?

John,
Thanks. Doing anything custom takes time. I've built two custom trucks and working on a third hot rod that we are two years into. Doing anything custom takes time, but I think the payoff will be worth it.

Yes on fishing, let's do it!

Barefoot,
No pink panther. I was not really sure a 23ft boat was big enough to name, but worth thinking aboutnoidea:scratchchin3:

·
Registered
107 Posts
So far we have no funding from the Pink Panther , but they have our paper work ! If I don't hear from them the cat is coming Off Sorry but I mean business hahahaha,

the curved top is just because it looks much better the flat and square the foam is easy to shape,

Thanks Bo

·
Registered
610 Posts
Bo- Is the foam used as the core, or just for mock up? Please keep us updated with progress pictures. I'm interested in how the fiberglass process works.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
Brandon, the new 250 Honda sounds like a great motor. I love the fact that you get 5 year warranty from the factory right out of the box.. No "promo periods" or third party warranty coverage. Honda also is great at standing behind their product. My dad had an issue with on of his 9.5 year old Honda last winter and Honda took care of it under warranty citing that it was a manufacturing problem. I have not heard of any other brand that stands behind their product like that.

Of course both zuke and yamaha are great motors too. my honda has just been great and I am glad I went that way. I look forward to seeing your boat progress :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
So, though a curved top might add a bit of style, if I did it on mine, I'd stay with flat top to keep stuff from rolling off.

Unless you and your passengers are super tidy and never set a camera or something down for a second, I'd consider making it flat.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I'm a big Honda fan too. On my 130 they sent a notice saying that there might be a casting issue on the block, and if a problem ever manifests, they were extending the warranty to 10 years! Never had a problem, but that was a great way to ease my mind.

That said, I love my Yammy too. And the fasteners etc seem much more corrosion resistant than the Honda fittings on that 1999 130hp. They may have improved that though.

I would not buy a brand new motor design though. Given your choices, I'd go with the proven 250 Yammy.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Honda does do a very good job, but I will also give a vote for a Yamaha F250. As a boat dealer in my previous life, I had alot of dealings with Yamaha, and I feel that their 4stroke 250 may go down in history as one of the great outboards in history.
Something to consider may be where you'll be using this boat, and the dealer/mech network. I think in terms of reliability and performance, in todays market, everyone has to be competitive, or be left behind. So most should be pretty close in those arenas.

In my mind, the big difference is, IF you have a failure (and they are all machines, it could happen!), what kind of response will you get? Are there plenty of shops that can obtain parts, and work on your motor? Especially away from home.
Having been to the Yamaha facilities in Kennesaw, GA, I can tell you, I was very impressed. They had about 10 of everything needed to build a motor from the skeg to the cowl. And for good reason, yammie OWNS the market from 100hp up.
I've got a '96 Yam 225 on my boat, and am very happy with it. I, too hope to be building a 22' boat (very similar to yours actually) this year, and my 225 will be going on it, and if it ever fails (yeah, right), she will be sporting an F250.
For what its worth...

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the feedback on the motor. I have nothing but good things to say about Yamaha. The 150 Saltwater that I had on my Parker was always reliable year round no matter the temperature. It was bullet proof no doubt. I've ridding on a bunch of boats with Honda's and have liked what I saw. Not to mention other Honda products I have have been bulletproof as well. I will post I get close one way or the other.

Pax, good point about putting things up on the top of the console, something to think about.

re: color someone asked about. The outside of the hull will be Alexseal Color T9132 - Cloud White.
The inside of the boat will be Alexseal T9129 - Stark White.
The bottom of the side of the boat will have a red, white and black stripe. The "rub rail" will be stainless.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I am not at all sorry about going with a Yamaha F-250. We have one of the newer "B" engines (i think thats what they call it), where-as our throttle/shift linkage is electronic, there are no manual cables. It is one sweet engine for sure. Now that i've got some hours on it i am cruising 30 mph getting 3.2 mpg (3.5mpg if its slick calm) running at 4000 RPMS.

The digital Yammie gauges are nice too and show all engine data and has fuel management as well.

I've heard such good things about SUZUKI as well. Fact of it is, any engine built today can be a lemon or a good one no matter what make/model it is.

·
Registered
107 Posts
this foam will not tolerate contact with polyester resin, its used here for mock up only!,, easy to cut and shape!

Thanks Bo

·
Registered
107 Posts
So, though a curved top might add a bit of style, if I did it on mine, I'd stay with flat top to keep stuff from rolling off.

Unless you and your passengers are super tidy and never set a camera or something down for a second, I'd consider making it flat.
its by design to keep things of of it,, usually works !

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
donp,

I think some people think t-tops and fly fishing do not get along well, but I would suggest with some casting skill it is not an issue at all. For a beginner it can be a real issue, in those cases where I have a beginner on board I usually put them up front and position the boat so they are casting to the outside of the boat, this leaves nothing to get in the way. If someone is fly casting in the back and not so good I try to do the same. There are times the t-top could get in the way when you want to cast through the boat, but there are ways to adjust your cast to still get your line through the boat and around the t-top.

I am going to make the t-top footprint a little smaller then the normal specs of a t-top to help eliminate issues. I need the t-top for radar, it does raise your antenna which gives a better range and it allows for curtains which I definitely want. Also, after my scare with a spot on my face last year I think getting a little relief from the sun is going to be a good thing.

Thanks for the feedback on the motors!

1 - 20 of 86 Posts