Tidal Fish Forum banner

Please Vote for Your Choice of Regulations for the 2013 Maryland Flounder Season

• Size 17", Season April 14- December 16, Creel 3 fish

Votes: 29 34.9%
  • Size 17", Season January 1 – December 31, Creel 3 fish

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • Size 16", Season January 1 – December 31, Creel 3 fish

Votes: 22 26.5%
  • Size 16", Season January 1 – December 31, Creel 4 fish

Votes: 19 22.9%
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next week the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC) will be meeting in Alexandria, VA. The schedule includes the Scup, Black Sea Bass and Summer Flounder Management Board meeting. They will be discussing the States specific management options for summer flounder for 2013 Below find a summary document for Maryland's summer flounder management options for 2013.

Please vote for what option you would vote for so I have an idea what you think in order to report back to the SFAC.

Summer Flounder, what to expect for 2013:
•Maryland's summer flounder target is 73,852 fish
•Current options approved by the Summer Flounder Technical
Committee include a combination of longer seasons, smaller fish, and
higher creel limits
•Options still need final approval by the Board, so there could be
minor changes to the options available

Please vote in the poll above.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Based on the year that I was seeing when I was in OC last year and the reports coming in from Delaware, keep them tight. After years of tight restrictions, last was the best year I have personally experienced and from what I was reading coming from Delaware, it was the same up there.

I talked to several ol' timers in OC that were all saying the same thing.

Chris

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Why loosen the belt on the fishery? Are the regulations in place really all that restrictive? A 16'' flounder isn't that big. IMO it's fine where it stands.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
It's interesting that, on a board where so many preach conservation, the option with the smallest size limit, largest creel limit, and longest season has the most votes so far. Wonder how it would be if the vote was in commercial harvest?

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
It's interesting that, on a board where so many preach conservation, the option with the smallest size limit, largest creel limit, and longest season has the most votes so far. Wonder how it would be if the vote was in commercial harvest?
Excellent point. Isn't there a 16.5 inch option on the table?

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Cause the commercial size limit is already 16 inches, they don't need to vote on it.

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A 16.5” option is not listed in the attachment, but if enough recs had an interest in such an option, it is possible and DNR said they can consider such. DNR said that consideration of a 16.5” option might also be desirable if Delaware and/or Virginia adopt that minimum size.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Cause the commercial size limit is already 16 inches, they don't need to vote on it.
You missed my point, I meant how the members of this board would vote if they were asked how the commercial industry should be regulated. I understand its a moot point, just an interesting observation on how views on conservation can be selfish.

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
You missed my point, I meant how the members of this board would vote if they were asked how the commercial industry should be regulated. I understand its a moot point, just an interesting observation on how views on conservation can be selfish.
ZAM? That you?

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Baldzilla 2.0
This is not a conservation question or issue. The science/math says any of these options achieve the same thing, the same impact on the population.

So it's not an issue of conversation or not because all the options are formulas to get to the same result. The question is what formula do people want to use to get to the result.
Brandon

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Baldzilla 2.0
This is not a conservation question or issue. The science/math says any of these options achieve the same thing, the same impact on the population.

So it's not an issue of conversation or not because all the options are formulas to get to the same result. The question is what formula do people want to use to get to the result.
Brandon
Not exactly. You can't possibly have two options where one takes more fish than the other and expect the same harvest. Some of the options are more conservative than others. Maryland is assigned an annual quota. This year, it's 73,852 fish. Last year, it's "estimated" that we only caught 20,700 fish so, if you believe the estimates, there is room for expansion. That also requires you to believe in MRIP, MRFSS, and probably santa claus. We really need a better way to get at recreational harvests so we can make decisions based on conservation and not these kind of estimates, and in my opinion, until we do, it's best to go with more conservative options.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Recreational harvest of summer flounder is not the issue, they are rolling the **** out of these things (with a 14" minimum), and that IS the issue. The only reason these #s are even being considered is because the much maligned scientists see this. Even if you double the recreational catch, wouldn't make a lick of difference. 20 thousand fish? really? you guys need to get out there...

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Shawn
That is not how I understand things, I am open to being wrong. How I understand it is that they have a target of x fish with x effect on the population. There are lots of ways to get to that number, you can tweak the size limit, you can tweak the time period allowed to fish, and you can tweak amount of fish you can keep. The effects all get you the same end number, just allow you to fish under different conditions.
Brandon

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
I think they figure that all the options will come in below the assigned quota, but they have higher confidence in some options than others. Frankly, I agree with Lou that it's all pissing in the wind, but I guess we have to play the game......

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I think they figure that all the options will come in below the assigned quota, but they have higher confidence in some options than others. Frankly, I agree with Lou that it's all pissing in the wind, but I guess we have to play the game......
Young men like me are strong enough to piss into the wind, without any blowback

1 - 20 of 39 Posts