Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
its f'ing ridiculous.
http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/local/maryland-approves-non-lethal-deer-birth-control-051611

I'll shoot every tagged deer I'd see in the woods and mail them back to Peditto first class mail.

What a waste.....

I guess Maryland needed to be the first for doing something....
But not for something meaningful like balancing the budget, improving oiur schools or cleaning up the Bay. Nope it had to be the first to allow deer contraception. I bet O''Malley is right proud today.

Did you guys see the WBAL water cooler question of the day? Its about the deer birth control - "What do you think of the plan to use birth control medication to control the growing deer population?"

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/27905412/detail.html

Put up your responses - I did.
You can email them at [email protected] or register and post your comments directly.

Jim

·
Registered
13,937 Posts
Birth control in deer has already been tried at NIST and proven ineffective. The deer would have to be re located and subsequent doses administered. Baltimore needs a birth control program, but not for deer. I would not waste my time on water cooler comments. Unbelievable........Gary

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
I too find this ridiculous. With the number of does out there, $1000/dose, PLUS the man hours of DNR agents in the field. I mean, I sit in a treestand for hours and see a few deer w/in slug range but not within dart range. DNR guys would be putting full work days in tree stands just to shoot a $1000 dose of birth control. And isn't there already a shortage of DNR enforcement officers?

I liked the watercooler comment from the guy who said his daughter just lost a $3000 scholarship so 3 deer can now get birth control.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I too agree the birth control option won't work. However, I didn't see it say that the DNR would be doing this. I see this as possibly a private company offering the service to private landowners, or HOA's or something. Now, I feel that there are problems with these people not letting hunters into to do the job the right way, but that is another story. And I wonder about people then eating these deer (personally, I'd probably donate it if I shot one...but lately it seems that won't be a problem for me). If some rich Potomac HOA wants to fork out 10's of thousands for this - fine with me. It'll help deal with the problem in a place where nobody can hunt. But, I guess we'll have to wait and see how much public money goes into this. I can't imagine the DNR would do this - essentially, they'd be doing something that decreased revenue (licenses) and increased costs (the shots) when a revenue generating solution exists. Liberal or conservative, money talks - and this would be a money killer for the DNR to have to institute in any way.

·
Registered
13,937 Posts
I too agree the birth control option won't work. However, I didn't see it say that the DNR would be doing this. I see this as possibly a private company offering the service to private landowners, or HOA's or something. Now, I feel that there are problems with these people not letting hunters into to do the job the right way, but that is another story. And I wonder about people then eating these deer (personally, I'd probably donate it if I shot one...but lately it seems that won't be a problem for me). If some rich Potomac HOA wants to fork out 10's of thousands for this - fine with me. It'll help deal with the problem in a place where nobody can hunt. But, I guess we'll have to wait and see how much public money goes into this. I can't imagine the DNR would do this - essentially, they'd be doing something that decreased revenue (licenses) and increased costs (the shots) when a revenue generating solution exists. Liberal or conservative, money talks - and this would be a money killer for the DNR to have to institute in any way.
Spoken like a true scientist:wink44: Way to tear it down Bob!...........Gary

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have no worries about seeing a tagged deer in my hunting spots. I don't think there will be many does treated at a cost of $1000 each.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
The Fox article would lead you to believe that the MD DNR is undertaking the task:

"It's going to be limited because of the manpower and cost involved. But it's a good option in area where nothing else works,"Peditto says.

If this was a for-profit outside party who would be conducting this, then manpower would not be an issue and cost would be covered by the HOAs paying or whatever. So with this comment about "cost and manpower", then its DNR's undertaking.

Also, i'm curious what he means by "areas where nothing else works". Which areas are ok? Seems to me any place east of Hagerstown is overpopulated.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Gary - didn't mean to shoot it down, I just don't get as fired up as I used too. Maybe that's not a good thing.

uncljohn - can't dispute what you pointed out. Of course Peditto is the Heritage guy, who works in suburban areas and is interested in preserving habitat for other species (the kind of habitat that deer destroy). I think the "nothing else works" are the suburban areas where you can't kill them, and the other strategies don't work. Looks like the Heritage program is a form of extension. From an optimist's point of view (or maybe a pro-DNR point of view), I could see Peditto getting a call, having a long conversation, and the reporter pulling that phrase out and publishing it without context. As a scientist, I can tell you that sort of thing happens a lot - especially when it can get a rouse out of a group of people. But who really knows.

·
Registered
13,937 Posts
Gary - didn't mean to shoot it down, I just don't get as fired up as I used too. Maybe that's not a good thing.

uncljohn - can't dispute what you pointed out. Of course Peditto is the Heritage guy, who works in suburban areas and is interested in preserving habitat for other species (the kind of habitat that deer destroy). I think the "nothing else works" are the suburban areas where you can't kill them, and the other strategies don't work. Looks like the Heritage program is a form of extension. From an optimist's point of view (or maybe a pro-DNR point of view), I could see Peditto getting a call, having a long conversation, and the reporter pulling that phrase out and publishing it without context. As a scientist, I can tell you that sort of thing happens a lot - especially when it can get a rouse out of a group of people. But who really knows.
Bob, Wasn't referring to shooting it down but breaking it down.......analyzing it. Far from me to be critical of your post!.........

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Gary - actually, I'd prefer it if you meant "shoot it down" - then at least there would be something I could successfully shoot down this year doh

By the way - settled on a 2X7 for the Muzzleloader - looking at the nikon prostaff. Gonna have to get on my horse and get some shooting in this summer.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
435 Posts
We have Birth Control For Deer her in VA too!

The difference is that the Commonwealth of VA actually makes money on it here... They collect the fees for hunting licenses and folks go out and shoot the deer. The deer are then (very effectively) prevented from reproducing and someone gets a yummy steak out of the deal too! Quite often those who enjoy the fruits of the controlled hunts are the homeless.

Just sayin'....

·
Registered
13,937 Posts
MD DNR should subsidize watermen to go in the woods with nets and control the deer. They would use a special size net that would only catch a deer with no bi catch. They are doing a fine job on the rock fish.dancedance............Gary

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
MD DNR should subsidize watermen to go in the woods with nets and control the deer. They would use a special size net that would only catch a deer with no bi catch. They are doing a fine job on the rock fish.dancedance............Gary
Uh oh, you gonna get Big Liar on your a$$ for suggesting watermen are subsidized!!!

I like Son Worshipper's birth control method.....just had some tasty backstrap on Sunday.....mmmm birth control backstrap.....

·
Registered
13,937 Posts
Uh oh, you gonna get Big Liar on your a$$ for suggesting watermen are subsidized!!!

I like Son Worshipper's birth control method.....just had some tasty backstrap on Sunday.....mmmm birth control backstrap.....
I gave 16 of them birth control last year. Been eating good in da hood. :yes: Just had tenderloin medallions, green beans, mashed potatoes and cream corn for dinner tonight. I am not going to argue with Big Liar. He has his thoughts and opinions and I have mine. It's all good. If everybody thought the same, life would suck..........Gary

P1000282.jpg birth control wagon!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Birth control in deer has already been tried at NIST and proven ineffective. The deer would have to be re located and subsequent doses administered. Baltimore needs a birth control program, but not for deer. I would not waste my time on water cooler comments. Unbelievable........Gary
Now they want to mess with mother nature,humans are the reason for overpopulation and now the deer have to pay and your tax dollars Im sure will flip the bill,whoever decided on this needs to castrated or fixed.Well said Gary,most overpopulated cities with deer need a birth control program but for the deer.Full blown idiots.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Just remember, forms of birth control aren't always 100% effective - for example, you have nitwits like me out there :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts