Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone else was able to find some wild maryland quail last year?

I found some decent numbers, I could pretty reliably flush at least 1 covey until deer season started up. After that, most of the birds moved off the property a bit I think.

FYI, this was public land. Bird hunting rules!

·
Registered
621 Posts
I figure quail (wild) are all but gone in Maryland just like the pheasant. On our property in Vienna, MD you could always get the **** scared out of you while walking the fields and edges. In the summer, the single birds would be walking around and the air was filled with bob-bob white. Now...............nothing or at least not enough to get your attention.

I would have thought that the abundance of CRP farming program would have helped but I dont think it has.

Mark

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you guys change farming methods? If you guys didn't, I'm welling to bet the land around you changed. The place I hunted last year was beautiful, lots of great cover. Even with all that cover, the birds stuck to a small area.

Also, if anyone knows a farm with birds on it that is available for a hunting lease, please let me know.

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts