Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got an email from MD DNR about 20 minutes ago. We knew this was gonna happen, but didn't know when.

On October 1st this change will occur. Fishing boat and crabbing boat stickers will no longer be issued by sporting goods agents. Expiration dates will need to be printed on them based on the date of purchase. DNR says "Those decals must now be printed and mailed by the Department. Beginning next Thursday, October 1st, you (Sporting Good shops) will no longer hand the decal to the customer. The printed item on the license document will be valid for a period of time to allow for mailing of the decal."

This sounds like the mailing of the Federal Bird Stamp for hunters that are familiar with that process. Your printed license will be valid that day, the time of purchase, the sticker will be mailed.

The DNR did not mention "non-boat" folks, but I "assume" the 365 day license, versus the calendar year will also start then.

DNR said " We are currently completing testing of these changes. As soon as we are confident all is working as needed, we will send final instructions."

Please don't ask me anymore about what you read, you know as much as I do. I will update as soon as DNR finalizes it's instructions to me.

Tight Lines,

Jim

·
Registered
297 Posts
I like the idea....... Seeing as how I just bought my boat license a week ago.

The girl (sweet young thing) at the Annapolis DNR office made sure to remind me that it was only good until the end of the year. I told her that we were going to have $50 worth of fun, even if we didn't catch anything. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
26,257 Posts
I can see this being a nightmare for the officers on the water. They'll have to stop and look for expiration date - right now they can look at the color of the decal. Same for shore fishermen - DNR will need to look at date - not just the year like it is now.

I can also see people making honest mistake in forgetting the renewal date.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I can see this being a nightmare for the officers on the water. They'll have to stop and look for expiration date - right now they can look at the color of the decal. Same for shore fishermen - DNR will need to look at date - not just the year like it is now.

I would imagine the NRP will let the DNR know how it works out. Seeing how they are short staffed already. So the Year beginning and expiration date is 365 days after you purchase it whenever?.

Several years ago the owner of a Bait shop said he really doesn't make much money selling the license and sticker. 2Jims, is that right? Baits shops selling it was more a convenience for fisherman, so they didn't have to go to Annapolis.

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
I would imagine the NRP will let the DNR know how it works out. Seeing how they are short staffed already. So the Year beginning and expiration date is 365 days after you purchase it whenever?.

Several years ago the owner of a Bait shop said he really doesn't make much money selling the license and sticker. 2Jims, is that right? Baits shops selling it was more a convenience for fisherman, so they didn't have to go to Annapolis.
I just got my hunting license at the Gun Shack in Mt Airy and they do not get any money from it any more. All goes to DNR.......... Gary

·
Registered
349 Posts
I like it. Give me 365 for my money. NY does the same with fish lic.

I think it will sell more lic`s overall.

By the current system, many are unwilling to spend the money with only a short time left.

I contacted Pa suggesting they do the same.LOL with them.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I'd like to see a "sportsman's license" that covers you for everything for a year. Boat license, fresh water, hunting. Maybe $150 a year or so.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts

X2...When in effect this would only benefit new boat owners, once. The whole idea is not logical nor fiscally sound...IMHO
Maybe they'll implement a different colorized sticker for each month...LOL

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
I believe this move to a 365 license is aimed at increasing recreational license sales so MD is eligible for more Wallop-Breaux money from the feds (10% federal excise tax money collected on fishing gear). It is also why they offered 1/2 off licenses for those that hadnt had licenses for several years in the beginning of the year too.

They want more of our federal tax money back, which is a good thing. (money issued back to states is largely based on license sales)

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
FL has been doing this for years (for individuals, don't know about boat license).

Auto-renewal option would be nice.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
In Fl. boat license is for two years and it falls on your birthday. If you are 65 and above all fishing and hunting licenses are waived except a federal duck stamp. You also need the federal billfish and tuna stamp $20.

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
In Fl. boat license is for two years and it falls on your birthday. If you are 65 and above all fishing and hunting licenses are waived except a federal duck stamp. You also need the federal billfish and tuna stamp $20.
+ Snook stamp?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.