Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used MAS resin. I've always used WEST system epoxy and now how good it is. But with money being a little bit tighter and MAS being a little cheaper I've thought about trying it.

Does anyone have any good or bad experience with MAS?

·
Registered
101 Posts
MAS Epoxy

I am using it on my Tolman project. I like the 2 to 1 mix ration, they also say it cures in temps down to 41 deg, and since my shed has no heat that is a plus.

It creates Blush but just wipe off with water soaked rag.

I have had some small batches take for ever to cure but I think I didnt mix long enough.

Have you located some good prices on it.

Bob L

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Bob - I used a 23k BTU kerosene heater in my drafty build-shed (deck) during Winter. You can get one for about $99 and it burns for about 6 hrs. without a refill. My average temperature reduction was 15 degrees, which keeps you in the ballpark for the fast hardeners. It doesn't matter how low the temps go afterwards, the cure will continue, just far more slowly. I toyed with the idea of using cheaper epoxy but decided not to risk it. Jim

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I tried MAS for a few small things and it never semed to cure at the same rate. one batch would cure hard in 24 hrs, the next would take 2 weeks to get hard. I still have a ball of it thats is like rubber...for 2 years ago. It was mixed in the speciafied ratios with medium(i think)hadener and temps were above 80 degrees... I still the better part of a gallon kit in the garage.needless to say, Im back with west system.

best of luck

Danny

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I have tried several different brands ,but not MAS,, have found all of them to be not as user freindly and did not work as well as as West System. even when I called one of the Manufacturers after having problems with cool weather curing (60 degrees in my garage), & tried several of their suggestions, they also recomended that I go back to west system. it is more money but it just works well for me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
MAS

Danny, I'll take that MAS off your hands if its not to old. :D

Used fast MAS hardener yesterday and had no issues curing overnight and used Med today since it was up to 55 in the shed coating the transom. Will report back tomorrow.

Bob

·
Registered
185 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Jim - If CLC uses it exclusively, I'm sure it's a very good product. John Harris (owner) has a kayak he made in the 70s using epoxy that stays outside in the grass and still looks new. Jim

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
I used the MAS with slow hardener from Chesapeake light Craft on my Boston Whaler project and had no issues whatsoever.

Chris

·
Registered
101 Posts
MAS Epoxy

While I have bean using MAS I also have bean looking at System Three, mainly because it talks about good curing properties in humid weather and there fast cures in temps down to 35. Not that I would epoxy at that temp but during the night it might gety there and still continue to cure.

There is a place that has good prices on system three (3 gal kit $ 213.) amd they also have good prices on fillers. So may switch over. Mertons Fiberglass is the name of the place. Has anyone purchased from them before?

Bob L

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Check this site out, Bateau.com - boat plans on line since 1993.

Their house brand, MarinePoxy, is based on years of testing, is supposed to be very friendly, very stable. The tech support if you have any questions or problems is second to none.

Chris

1 - 18 of 18 Posts