Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the right place but posting anyways. Acquired a a 42 sportfish in late summer and getting geared up for the fall bite. I run out of the South River in Edgewater.

I have very limited experience but have quality equipment to run a 6-9 rod spread for striper trolling. The boat has 6 TLD-25s mounted to Ande 6ft tournament rods. 3 additional mixed bag trolling rods to run a 9 rod spread in total, rupp outriggers tripple rigged with nok outs on each side. Have a combination of white and chartreuse tandems and umbrella rigs from bloody point baits.

Looking to see if there is anyone out there looking for a boat to fish off of that knows what they are doing and can help show me the way. May be a stretch but figured I would put it our there.

Completely capable of running the boat but lacking in the fishing department. The wife and I have been cruisers so the fishing part is new to us. Done the charter thing a few times and really looking to learn on our boat.

Drinking cool, no alcoholics or drugs.... probablly going to get crushed for this one but putting it out there.

·
Premium Member
26,257 Posts
One tip - be sure you can get boat down to 2.5 - 3.0 knot trolling speed. Rock can be picky as water cools off and refuse fast trolled lures.

If no trolling valve - dragging small sea anchor or 1 or 2 five gallon buckets can slow boat.

·
Registered
42 Posts
One tip - be sure you can get boat down to 2.5 - 3.0 knot trolling speed. Rock can be picky as water cools off and refuse fast trolled lures.

If no trolling valve - dragging small sea anchor or 1 or 2 five gallon buckets can slow boat.
5 gallon buckets with a 3 or 4" hole in the bottom. Without the hole they don't do a whole lot.

·
Registered
42 Posts
5 gallon buckets with a 3 or 4" hole in the bottom. Without the hole they don't do a whole lot.
Tried everything on the Bertram 35. the shredder of drift socks. Careful with buckets. Drill holes for tow rope. Buddy got smacked in the face by a bucket handle that popped out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
line counters (clip on) will help dial in how much line to run off the TLD's. Or bottom bounce.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Keep the outriggers in. Too much weight with bay rigs. Outrigger bases up high are a good place to attach planer board tow lines. Planer boards are a whole other discussion but they do increase your odds. A couple triple rod holders and one double and you could run 14 easy.(only limited by the number of rod holders and boat traffic).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Big planer boards will also help to slow the boat a little, especially loaded with a pile of heavy rigs. But they can be a P.I.T.A if you don't stay on your toes.

·
Registered
365 Posts
A while back there were common posts looking for a HO - somebody to help out on the boat. That is how I got into Chesapeake Bay fishing. I answered a HO request from a really good fisherman and met some other really good fishermen while being a HO on his boat. We fish together on each other's boats now.
You shouldn't get crushed for this type of post. They used to be common. Unfortunately they are not common now.
I fished by myself on my boat the last couple of times I went out. It would be better to have somebody else on board. Bringing in fish while trolling and running the boat all by yourself in choppy water is not easy.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Tried everything on the Bertram 35. the shredder of drift socks. Careful with buckets. Drill holes for tow rope. Buddy got smacked in the face by a bucket handle that popped out.
Good advice not using the handle, it will fail eventually. Also use plaited line instead of 3 strand to prevent snap back.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Bertram 35’

what a beautiful boat. I would sit at the inlet in ocean city and watch the fowl hook go out and wish I had that boat. Just beautifully built and beautiful lines. Thanks for the memories

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I’m 46 years old, dead. It was Bertram, post, hatteras and ocean yacht was the new guy, that I knew of. I’d go home and build them all in Legos

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Remember when capt Paul switch from gas to diesel in his 35’. You’d see that black smoke when he’d throttle up going through the inlet

1 - 16 of 16 Posts