Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to do a quick trip before dinner since the rain finally let up. Left out of Deale and headed towards 83. Marked some bait and fish in 30' so I deployed both boards and 10 lines. 2 boat rods and 8 on the boards. Drove around the shallows with 3 knock downs but nothing came tight. Decided to run out closer to 83 and deeper water. Crossed into 37' of water and one of my clips popped, the rod doubled over and I knew I had a good fish.

So a quick back story will tell you I have not boated a keeper since the season opened. With this in mind I really wanted to boat this fish. The fish hit one of my weaker rods (a shakspeare setup), and I could barely reel in this fish. It hit a 6oz spire point black head white hair, green glitter shad with 8 oz inline. Out 70-80' off the boards so atleast it wasn't too far out... That is untill it wanted to peel off drag. I looked around and didn't see any boats so I slowed down from 3.3 kts to around 2. Set the boat in a wide turn and continued to fight the fish to the boat. With every head shake I worried it would get away. I finally got her close to the boat and could see she was big. Reached down and lipped the fish into the boat. I stood there for a second in disbelief as I have been out many times to only throw back 20" fish. I quickly took some pics, shared the info with others on 68. Then started my way back home.

GOOODBYE SKUNK

Mike
Carmita's Dream
2200 WA Hydra-Sports

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
Congrats! Way to stick with it and bring in a nice fish.

Mike (lubbernomo)
Bluewater 2350 out of the South River

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Mike,

That's a great feeling shaking that skunk loose after doing everything right for numerous trips (I should know). That's a nice looking fish indeed; congratulations!

Don

PS: Go get that citation!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone!

Yea I was really excited. I had a VERY SLOOOOOOOW season with a bunch of missed opportunities and shorts. So it was very exciting for me to finally reel in a trophy.

Mike
Carmita's Dream
2200WA Hydra-Sports

·
Registered
597 Posts
sweet looking fish! bet that was a blast. been a while for me as well .... love the to feel the head shaking of a heavy sturdy fish like that. That's why we do what we do.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone!

So the final measurment was 41" I submitted it for a citation and should recieve it in a few weeks or a month. The fight was intense, especially being the only one on the boat. But I prevailed and brought home this beauty for dinner.

BTW dinner was stuffed rockfish with crab cakes! All fresh and all local!

Mike
Carmita's Dream
2200WA Hydra-Sports

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts