Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boat show put me in the mood for a boat and I think I will buy the May Craft My reservation is they only offer 5 years hull warranty, Anyone know anything about the quality of the boats The skiff is a V bottom at 18' 8" and only weighs 1400 lbs I like that with a 90 hp suzuki for its portability and economy but I'm still not sure of the boats reputation. Any comments good or bad are welcome.:confused:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Had the 1800 skiff, fished all over the lower Chesapeake bay on good days, and some not so good. Had f100 yamaha on mine, ran great, fished well for a small boat, never had any problems, traded up to the 2550 pilothouse. Ken May builds a good, solid, no frills boat that I believe will get you there and back and a lot of bang for your buck m2cw...Coley

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was also looking at these. Pipewrench how seaworthy was it. Will it handle the bay on a normal choppy bay? Looking to take my so fishing on the Chesapeake in good weather. Thanks Todd

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Bought the 1800 Skiff new in 05 and have had no problems at all with mine. I got a 90 Yamaha which gets the boat up on plane quickly with a full tank and 3 average size guys aboard. The ride is nice with good fish ability and it takes on fairly rough seas pretty well. Good boat for the lower bay and rivers just watch the weather forecast as you would with any boat and know your limits.

Gator

·
Registered
291 Posts
Gator said it right, watch the weather, use your head. We had alot of fun in ours, we fished all over Hampton Roads, around the bay bridge tunnel area. The boat was really good for getting up in the skinny water of Back river and the flats. About the only things I had a problem with were the lack of rod holders, no facilities for the wife and the ride could get very wet in a rough sea, but hey, it is an open skiff, right? Solved those issues by trading up to the 2550 pilothouse, now I don't get wet and the wife doesn't have use a bucket! Also with the f100 yamaha, had no problems pulling the kids on skies or tubes down at Buggs island. Call Ken May and go see how they're made, He's just down the road in Smithfield,NC....Coley

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
I have a 2005 2550xl and have had no problems. they are the best made boats for the money IMHO.

Parker also has a 5 year warranty. I think it is better to have a 5 year warranty from a family owned boat company that produces maybe 300 boats a year than a 10 year warranty from one of the big builders that you have to fight to honor.. Ed's Marine Superstore had Maycrafts at the Balt show. The guy there told me he has rarely had any warranty issues at all with the May-crafts and they could sell more boats if they could get more. He said it was the easiest line for them to carry and they carry a lot of lines.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input Does anyone know if the older models had the rolled gunnel edge. I felt this was going to throw most spray back down and give the 18' a much drier ride. Ed's also told me the road king trailer service was great they would come to your home but I read several posts on thehulltruth.com and it sounds to me to be just the opposite bad customer service for there road king trailers.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
skiff

Bought one at Ed's in 2004- great boat, bad venture trailer. Has the rolled gunnel. Get the boat at Ed's and never look back for anything. Have been all over lower bay and out 20 miles in the ocean from calm seas to 5' in the bay. I added trim tabs and they are great for really using the deep bow but can't turn well with them. 90HP does ok. The only thing I have to complain about is that the transom is too low. When anchored in chop (I like to wreck fish) or when wind and tide are fighting boat is wet. Can have water sloshing around the back where it has come over. I added T-Top - went to factory and had them put it on. Also added 6 pole holders across the back and 6 up front. Have a total of 16 pole holders now (lost the 6 on initial center console because of T-Top but store gaff and brush there)

·
Banned
859 Posts
I have the 17ft version w/ yamaha 50 4 stroke. nice little rig and easy on gas. the 17 & 18 have the same hull design. try to pick my weather, but have been caught out in the rough. handles well for a small boat. more or less skips across the waves instead of cutting through them. Ive zipped home across 3ft+ (measured peak to trough) and been fine. had it for a year, so far, no issues. no frills, solid boat.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I would not recommend Eds Marine!! You will get your best deal there but if you have service issues its not worth the headache you will go thru w/ these bastards. Screwed us once and wont get another chance! If you do, make sure of the package your buying(new motor or 1 or 2 years older than the boat, they actually stuck a left hand rotation engine on our 2550PH and didnt think there was anything wrong w/that, and a 30" shaft when the boat required a 25 where the 30" bracket was set. I've bashed enough(it will never be enough) good luck its a solid boat, good luck.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i AM WARNED

Man do they have a bad rep and I knew this going in but I have tried to get it all in writing and still am waiting for the last pc of the puzzle in writing the trail size. You are the 4 th person to warn me I will definetly post about the final outcome for allthose waiting. Pick it up 3/3/07
PS he is 2/3 k less than any other price quote I have even checked on warranty issues and found HP marine in Havre De Grace will service motor with no hassles Suzuki

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have a simlar boat, a Polar 18 with a 115 Yamaha 4 stroke. Maycraft is a great boat, as well as Honda a great motor. You could could probably save some money with 60-70 Hp if you are not going to pull tubes ski etc. I have too much motor for the boat, however I bought used.
You might also look for a used hull a little large with high freeboard and stay with new motor. You will add the number of days you will be able to fish due to weather.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wanted to stay light and easy to deal with the compromise will shorten some days I'm sure but fishing the upper bay 90% helps

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Drift King

Well thanks for all the comments on May Craft. I bought the 18'8" modified "V" skiff with a 90 zuk. The DK will be delivered on 3-3-07 . See Ya out there starting with the flats:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts