Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left the house at 9. Out to 9, putted around a bit then hung a right and ran towards 5 zig zagging down the 30 - 40 line. Found a big raft up of birds about 1 mile down from 7 and started the hammering. Well not really hammering it was king of tough going.... Fish where feeding on 2.5 - 3" rain minnows and crashing bait all around the boat for 5 hours until the fog and rum front moved in.

Definitely a match the hatch sort of day. Going small was easy but it was dink city. Upsize too much and you were just practicing your casts. Tried the fly for an hour and could not dial that in. Ended up having pretty good success with a .25 oz jig head and 5" opening night BA. Cast to the far side of the breakers, let it sink 15 - 20 seconds and work it under the melee. Had a streak where I managed 20+ consecutive 19 - 20" ers (20" if you squeezed the tail).

Wife was working a pink sting silver and was catching as fast but not as big.

Maybe 150 fish total between the two of us, biggest fish - 21. Smallest fish maybe 7"

·
Registered
44 Posts
Dude I gotta fish behind you!! Are going out this week at all? I am thinking Monday Tuesday Wednesday. I will look for u ! BTW what is an opening night BA ? I think that's what u said you had on the back of .25 bucktail. I seem to always find some fish around 7 too

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gotta work this week. Will be down again next weekend. The jig action is just going to get better!

BA = Bass Assasin. Opening night is a purple glitter pattern. BKD s are similar and seem to hold up better plus RW's seems to have a good supply. You can fish them on bucktails but I usually do not especially if you are trying for a slenderized presentation.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Pounce, Our trolling area near buoy 5 was pretty good for us also. We got 3 keepers for us. 22", 28" & 24". Trolling stormbrellas in 40' to 46' of water. Also caught a bunch of under 20" fish. Ran back up river around 2pm when the rain and wind hit. Stopped by buoy 7 in rain and found more birds and threw 1/2oz spoons into schools of fish and let sink and only caught 13" fish. Be back next weekend to try again.

- - - Updated - - -

·
Registered
44 Posts
I know where 7 and 9 are buy I not sure where 5 is? Just got to callao . headed out tomo ? What color were your stormbrellas? I am going to fish tomo and Tuesday. In Oct I did OK trolling spoons on #2 planers. But mostly non keepers

·
Registered
843 Posts
Picture of Stormbrella that I used a few years ago. Past couple of weekends been using 4 of them and one chartreuse umbrella rig.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.