Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering the purchase of a new Maycraft 2000CC.

Looking for advice or opinions on the right power. Is a Four Stroke 150 enough or do I need to upgrade to a 200? Most stocked boats at Gotees, Rudys, or Eds come with a 150.

Anyone run one of these boats with either of these power configurations?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I have the maycraft brochure in front of me and the 20CC is pictured with a 150, I think that would be plenty of power IMO. I just bout the 17' from Rudys marine today, great people to work with. Joe was my sales guy.

·
Registered
158 Posts
My Brother-in-law has the Maycraft 19CC. He has a 115 Yamaha four stroke on it. He has plantly of pickup and the top end is close to 40 mph. I can't believe a boat one more foot is going to need 85 more horse power. Ask them for a test run with a 150. I think you'll be pleased.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
oh god yes! unless you want to go over 50!

i had one with a 150 2stk johnson. it cruised nice at 3800 rms, and had good top end, near 42 i think.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i know where ed' marine is can anyone direct me to gootes and rudys
RUDYS MARINE

From Northeast Pennsylvania:
Take 95 South to the Newport Exit (Exit 5-B). Stay in the Right Hand Lane. Take the Newport Exit again (Exit 4). At the bottom of the exit ramp make a right onto Rt. 4 East. We are 1 mile up on the left.

From New Jersey, via Delaware Memorial Bridge:
Stay in far left hand lane. Take 95 South to the Newport Exit (141 North). Stay in the Right Hand Lane. Take the Newport Exit again (Exit 4). At the bottom of the exit ramp make a right onto Rt. 4 East. We are 1 mile up on the left.

From Maryland:
Take 95 North to the Newport Exit (141 North). Stay in the Right hand lane. Take the Newport Exit again (Exit 4). At the bottom of the exit ramp make a right onto Rt. 4 East. We are 1 mile up on the left.

From Central or Western Pennsylvania:
Take 41 East to Route 141 South. Take the Newport Exit. Take a left onto Route 4 East. We are 1 mile up on the left.

From Lower Delaware & MD Shore Points:
Take Rt. 1 North to I-95 North. Take I-95 North to Rt. 141 North (Exit 5-B Newport). Take Rt. 141 to Exit 4 Newport. At bottom of exit ramp make a right onto Rt. 4 East. continue East on Rt. 4 for 1 mile. Rudy Marine is on the left.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Rudy's is a class act outfit. If Tom Rubaugh is still the owner which I believe he is. Not to mention one of the best service departments around. Ask to tour the service department. These guys do some pretty radical custom requests. One of the leading Yamaha dealers in the country as well. Don't be afraid of all the cute japanese dolls in Toms office. Yammy gives one to him everytime he gets a dealers of the year award. There are a bunch of them.

The 150 is plenty on that hull. The 200 would be more appropriate for the 2300 CC.

Good choice. I think you will be happy with that rig. Atleast until you are ready to move up to a 23;)

Tight lines, Bob

·
Registered
864 Posts
I had a 150hp 2 stroke on a 206 Kencraft. Not the same boat but same length/hp and I had plenty of speed. The Maycraft might be a little lighter so I'm sure you would be well satisfied. A 200 would be overkill IMO.
John

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Had a 150 HPDI on my Parker 21SE...plenty of power...........ran in the low 40's........:)

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
150 should be pleanty as Maycrafts are very efficient hulls with the lower transom deadrise.

I was disappointed when Almar's lost the May-craft dealership in DE. They took good care of me. I am glad to hear the new dealership Rudy's is taking care of people.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. That makes me much more comfortable with the 150.... saves some money too!

:)

·
Banned
152 Posts
Redboat,

You should take a look at the Judge 22. They very well built. It is well worth the investment. I am on my second boat from them. I have not lost any money when I resold mine and I had custom things done to the boat. Composite floors and stringers were the best part! No water absorbtion or potential rot!

Ray

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hey Redboat, I have the same boat with t-top/leaning post. I got it with a 140 johnson (suzuki) 4 stroke. Not a speed boat. But I love my boat. I can trim it out and get 38 mph out of it. Fantastic fuel mileage too. I am sure your 150 would be enough.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
What's enough for one isn't enough for he next, and for me, a 10 wouldn't be enough and I'm basing it on what what Maycraft has the boat rated for and what other's are posting about the speed.

Looking at Maycraft's site, the 2200 CC is rated at 200hp. A 150 put it at 75% of the rated max and I always feel, 75% is the minimum for decent performance. Now knowing people are saying they've seen 42mph with a 150, I'd want more. I don't know if these speeds are with T-tops or what kind of load, but when you load a boat down, it can get sluggish.

If it were me, I'd go with a 2 Stroke and 175hp on that boat. If I was going 4 Stroke, I'd want a 200.

- Dae

1 - 16 of 16 Posts