Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am in the process of prepping the new 2550 XL for the spring season with goodies and need some advise. A windlass is 1st on my list of additions for the new boat. I have measured 250 feet of Rode for the anchor locker and found that it will have approximately 12 inches of free fall once the line is in the locker.

My question is:

What type of windlass do you have, and are you happy with it?
How much Rode?
What style and weight of anchor do you recommend for the Mid Bay?

Speaking about spring boat prep, here is the best instruction site that I have found for Yamaha water pump changes. It has some good tips and tricks…

http://yamahawaterpumprepair.com/download443443443443/YamahaWaterPumpRepairMadeEasy.pdf

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Congrats on the awesome new boat. When I go to the Maycraft site, I see a 2300 but not a 2250 XL. Can you send a link? Main thing with a windlass is to make sure you secure your anchor because if it ever slips off, you can do some major damage. I can't recommend any brand but I use one every night when I'm charter sailing and when I occasionally overnight on my SeaSwirl. Mine dropped free in 4 footers one day so I kicked her into reverse quickly to prevent hull damage but it could have gotten ugly. I like a Danforth in the Bay with about 300 ft. of line. Call them, tell them about your boat... they will be familiar with the Bay and which one is best for your needs. http://danforthanchors.com/

·
Registered
Koah Roller Speargun, 100 Euro
2,937 Posts
I bought a 2008 2550XL this past spring and since then I have added a new windlass. I went with a Lewmar Pro Fish 1000 and 300' of 8-strand brait anchor line. You don't need 300' if you only plan to use the boat in the bay. Do some research on what type of line you want. The brait has some cons as well as pros. A meat-grinding windlass gypsy can do a lot of damage (and fast) to some very expensive brait if you don't know when to stop pushing the up or down button on a windlass control. Brait has some strange characteristics as it piles like cool whip and does NOT spread out without some help. That 300' length of anchor line I installed is now 250':censored:. Good luck with that 12" measurement holding up as that is VERY key if you decide to go with brait line. By the way, I have gotten pretty good at re-splicing 8-strand briat to anchor chain if you need help in the future:yes:....Don

Danforth anchor is said to be the best for the bay and I use a 22# danforth I picked up from 'Skip's Used Anchor Emporium'.

Thanks for that water pump info.

·
7,173 Posts
Hunter is right about the length. Sailing and Bay fishing - different - so you don't need 300' -- I was usuing calculations I learned for sailing. That's a sweet boat.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
My question is:

How much Rode?
I put a Powerwinch Class 31 freefall on my Parker last year and hate it......things a piece of ****.......has repeatedly jammed, both the rode roller and the internal drive gear assembly......gonna deep-six the POS. Not recommended.
Rode - 200 feet should be plenty for the Bay....you're mostly anchoring in shallow water.......but rode is one of those things that more is better......if the price is right go with more.
A 22 Danforth should suffice.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have a Maycraft 2700 that I bought this past spring. It came with a Lewmar Profish 1000 on it. It is setup with 300' of 5/8 line coupled to 10' of chain and a plow anchor. My only complaint with the setup is the line keeper on the top of the windless will allow the line to jump out of the cradle if the boat is moving up or down in the seas. This winter i will be looking at adding/changing the keeper spring to put more downward tension on the line during the payout. I have only anchored in sand or mud with the plow and it is perfect for that type of bottom. I dont know how it will act on shell or other hard bottom. When not in use, there is a short lanyard with a dog clip that is attached to the exposed chain to prevent a accidental release. Be sure to place the control switch out of the way of everything or put a secondard power switch. If you hit the up button by accident catching yourself in rough seas, the winch will tear the pulpit right off the boat. The Lewmar has alot of power.

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
I had a "Quick" (brand) horizontal windlass on my 25 Maycraft. I liked it a lot better than the Lewmar verticle windlass I have on my Judge , which tends to jam more frequently. I think I had 200' or rode with 15-20' of chain on my maycraft and once in a while I would have to knock down the rope pile in anchor locker. It wasnt that big of a deal as the helm is so close to the anchor locker in the V-berth.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I am in the process of prepping the new 2550 XL for the spring season with goodies and need some advise. A windlass is 1st on my list of additions for the new boat. I have measured 250 feet of Rode for the anchor locker and found that it will have approximately 12 inches of free fall once the line is in the locker.

My question is:

How much Rode?

Speaking about spring boat prep, here is the best instruction site that I have found for Yamaha water pump changes. It has some good tips and tricks…

http://yamahawaterpumprepair.com/download443443443443/YamahaWaterPumpRepairMadeEasy.pdf
I have a 2008 2550XL. Loaded it up with toys over the last year or so. Garmin GHC 10 autopilot, Lowrance Radar, GPS, rocket launcher rod holders (23 rod holders in all!), and a Quick Anchor windlass. I have the Quick set up with 250 rode and a delta anchor. I do recommend you get a en extended anchor bow roller, I didn't, but the windlass works great. I am adding trim tabs this winter, and I recoommend them as well. I can send some pics, but if you search my profile I have a few phot0 albums of the boat to give you ideas. You will love your new boat. congrats!

·
7,173 Posts
What fishnlabs said above is exactly what I was cautioning. Make sure you secure that anchor whenever you don't plan to use it and especially in rough seas. It popped out on me twice; once lucky, once not so lucky. All that aside, you will really enjoy the windlass, it's a real nice addition and well worth the expense. Extended anchor bow pulpit roller - great advice.

·
Registered
Koah Roller Speargun, 100 Euro
2,937 Posts
That's good Don. I know someone that may need their line re-spliced "AGAIN". lol.................................................Mark
Should I send the videos and step-by-step instructions to your email? If I can do it, I know you can. Did you really booger it again? May I suggest metal cable this time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts